Mmf Still Good After 6 Days!!!

Decorating By greencargirl Updated 8 May 2005 , 3:51pm by greencargirl

greencargirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greencargirl Posted 7 May 2005 , 1:58am
post #1 of 15

ok, i made my practice wedding cake last saturday (actually unfroze the cake layers and made the mmf to cover it)... it has been sitting on my kitchen table completely set up for the last 6 days... on wednesday night i cut a piece from the 8" spice layer and it was excellent... thursday i cut a piece from the 10" coconut layer and ended up eating 2! yum!! then today i cut the 12" bottom layer which was marble and it too was excellent... i still have the 6" yellow cake and i'm going to try that on day 7... i just did this so i know how far ahead i can make my wedding cake so i have a few extra days before the wedding to myself... (this really isn't as hard as i thought it would be!)... i personally don't really care for the taste of mmf... it is good but VERY sweet, pure sugar really and i peel it off before eating the cake but i just love the smooth look of it, i'm posting pix too so if anyone wants to check it out, feel free icon_smile.gif

14 replies
momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 7 May 2005 , 2:25am
post #2 of 15

wow!! good job!! AWESOME IS ALL I CAN SAY!!
Can you give me some pointers on when you 1st start making the mmf? My friend tried it and said she will NEVER make it again? Id relly like to try... but now im afraid!!! She said her whole kitchen was covered with powdered sugar.
Do you put it all in a Big Bowl and kneed? or do you have to do it on a counter top? Any advice would be great!
Ill be doing a wedding cake on the 21... and MMF may be an option for me... if you convice me! LOL!! icon_lol.gif
thank you!!!!!!!

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 7 May 2005 , 2:29am
post #3 of 15

I thought making the MMF was fairly easy, know that it will be pretty sticky there for a few moments though....I put half the powered sugar int he bowl, made a well, poured int he mashmallows, stir it a little to get it mixed, then added the rest of the powdered sugar and just kept kneading it until it got to the consistency I wanted.....I did add about 1/3 cup more powered sugar. Advice, use a big bowl and putting cricso on your hands definetly helps with the stickiness.

greencargirl Posted 7 May 2005 , 3:56am
post #4 of 15

so far this is the only "topping" i've used... i have not tried the store bought fondant yet and really don't plan on cuz of all the bad things i've heard but i think mmf is pretty easy... just make sure to sift the powdered sugar... and yes, it can make a mess but i'm getting cleaner about it everytime i make a batch... definetely use a huge bowl... it will be sticky for awhile but it gets over that stage and then it's just like play-doh... and crisco, crisco, crisco... love it! put it everywhere, counter tops, hands, rolling pin... anywhere... it really helps... just kneed it in the bowl and once it gets all stuck together and half way managable you can take it out and start playing with it on the countertop... hope that helps! thumbs_up.gif

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 7 May 2005 , 4:10am
post #5 of 15

The practice wedding cake you made looks lovely. I think it's wonderful you are willing to make your own cake for your wedding...good luck!

momof3jotynjake Posted 7 May 2005 , 5:03am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencargirl

so far this is the only "topping" i've used... i have not tried the store bought fondant yet and really don't plan on cuz of all the bad things i've heard but i think mmf is pretty easy... just make sure to sift the powdered sugar... and yes, it can make a mess but i'm getting cleaner about it everytime i make a batch... definetely use a huge bowl... it will be sticky for awhile but it gets over that stage and then it's just like play-doh... and crisco, crisco, crisco... love it! put it everywhere, counter tops, hands, rolling pin... anywhere... it really helps... just kneed it in the bowl and once it gets all stuck together and half way managable you can take it out and start playing with it on the countertop... hope that helps! thumbs_up.gif

OK!! great!!!!!!!! now, how to you wash the counter top w/ the crisco? you know.. i wont be able to do it on my counter, it is not smooth,,, it is tiled! arrr. any suggestions on that?

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 7 May 2005 , 5:59am
post #7 of 15

Just saw your practice cake Greencargirl!! You should be very proud of yourself!!! You keep getting better & better at this!! Thanks for sharing the experiment w/ us! It will come in handy! Keep up the great work!!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 7 May 2005 , 12:23pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3jotynjake

OK!! great!!!!!!!! now, how to you wash the counter top w/ the crisco? you know.. i wont be able to do it on my counter, it is not smooth,,, it is tiled! arrr. any suggestions on that?

Dawn dishsoap and hot as you can stand it water, dawn works the best at cutting through grease, seriously. Its the only dishsoap that I buy, that's how much I like it.
Greencargirl....good job on the cake...looks a little bumpy but good for your first large cake.
I can't wait to try MMF, I was reading on Wilton's website that when making gumpaste you should grease your mixing bowl with crisco, so I'm sure the same thing could apply to MMF. Hmmmm, I will have to experiment icon_twisted.gif

greencargirl Posted 7 May 2005 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 15

oh i know about the bumpiness... had a bit of a problem with one of the layers on the big cake cracking (into about 5 pieces)... ah well...

i have no idea what to do on tiled countertops... my kitchen table is tiled and my countertops aren't big enough to roll out the mmf for the big cakes so i had to bring everything over by my mom's house to do it icon_smile.gif so, sorry, can't help you there but thanks everyone for the compliments

momof3jotynjake Posted 7 May 2005 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:

oh i know about the bumpiness... had a bit of a problem with one of the layers on the big cake cracking (into about 5 pieces)... ah well...

i have no idea what to do on tiled countertops... my kitchen table is tiled and my countertops aren't big enough to roll out the mmf for the big cakes so i had to bring everything over by my mom's house to do it icon_smile.gif so, sorry, can't help you there but thanks everyone for the compliments

WEll, my kitchen table is oak.. and flat. you think i can lay out wax paper and do it on there??
I think im gonna give it a try today! Im making my mom and dh's mom a 8" heart cake and i thought id try covering it in fondant? lol!
thanks!
~Ute

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 7 May 2005 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 15

greencargirl, did you eat the fondant after all those days? i made mmf and the next day if was quite hard. it does look pretty, but wasn't good after the next day.

greencargirl Posted 7 May 2005 , 10:21pm
post #12 of 15

i did eat it... it was hard but not like rock hard... it's extremely sweet so i don't eat much of it... i just like the look of it... it didn't taste stale or anything but then again... i don't really know what stale marshmallows would taste like... if you would leave a marshmallow out on the counter or something do you think that would get hard overnight? i'll have to try that sometime... hmmm...

momof3jotynjake Posted 8 May 2005 , 2:02am
post #13 of 15
Quote:

i did eat it... it was hard but not like rock hard... it's extremely sweet so i don't eat much of it... i just like the look of it... it didn't taste stale or anything but then again... i don't really know what stale marshmallows would taste like... if you would leave a marshmallow out on the counter or something do you think that would get hard overnight? i'll have to try that sometime... hmmm...

ok! well, i tried MMF!!! lol. It was quite sticky at first. my 9 year old had a blast getting all the shortening on his hands then helping me get all the mm off my hands! LOL!!. it was funny. But after that it wa great!
I had a lot of hard little balls though in mine that were hard to get out??? do you ahve that too? or maybe i didnt knead it enough?
Well, tehre is more to my MMF story, i will post that in the DISASTER section!! boy oh boy.... are you gonna get a kick outta this one! LOL!!

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 8 May 2005 , 11:38am
post #14 of 15

Nice job on that practice cake!! My wedding is in >2 weeks now.. and I haven't practiced yet and have only done fondant once. I was going to make the cakes this weekend and freeze the, BUT discovered the freezer is too small to fit either of the larger size pans - 16" and 14". Yikes!! I will have to do it all the last week!!!

Hugs,
AngelW

greencargirl Posted 8 May 2005 , 3:51pm
post #15 of 15

my fiance got a free freezer from someone at work so now we have enough room to put all the cakes... i need to start making the bow for my shower cake though which is next weekend... i want it to be hard enough by then... i haven't had much luck with bows in the past so i'm a little scared about doing this...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%