Seuss Cake....umbrella Frame

Decorating By brenners Updated 18 May 2006 , 3:54pm by brenners

brenners Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenners Posted 18 May 2006 , 3:53am
post #1 of 5

Okay Im making a Dr. Suess cake for my daughter's 2nd bday (its june 11th), but we are trying to figure out how to make n umbrella skeleton/frame, for thing 1 to hold...we thought of trying those melting chocolates...so we are going to try that, is there anything else you all can think of?

Thanks Brenda

4 replies
tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 18 May 2006 , 4:08am
post #2 of 5

I wish I knew! Sorry!

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 18 May 2006 , 4:30am
post #3 of 5

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do (sorry icon_redface.gif )

Do you want it to be 2D or 3D? If 2D, then candy melts should do the trick. If you want it to be 3D, maybe try making the pieces out of gumpaste and attaching them together once they're dry.

With either, you can paint them with luster dust so they look like metal.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 May 2006 , 11:40am
post #4 of 5

(at work, so no sketch but)

take a cue from the one of the pros who, on a Food Network Challenge, blew up balloons to the size needed and then pipe Royal Icing right onto the ballow an let it dry. Popped the balloon and had hollow Christmas ornaments.

so you'd take a balloon, blow up nice and big. pipe the frame on it -- i'd reccomend building it up with several layers. when dry remove from balloon...WARNING -- it will be very fragile.

the stem and hand can be a dowel rod to be sure you have enough support. glue the frame to the dowel w/ more royal.

HTH

brenners Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brenners Posted 18 May 2006 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 5

Great ideas all, thank you... Doug that is awesome I 2would have never thought of that, I just gotta find a recipe for royal icing, thank you so much....you all are so smart and clever

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%