Has Anyone Used Wilton's Color Mist Spray?

Decorating By lilrev Updated 18 May 2006 , 2:34am by naotter

lilrev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilrev Posted 17 May 2006 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 12

I want to do a spiderman bust but would like to avoid using so much red icing. I have a lot of requests for cakes that have a lot of colors but I am afraid of people walking around with mouths stained with color.

11 replies
carflea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carflea Posted 17 May 2006 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 12

I have. The black isn't all that black I'm not sure about staining. I know that the cake board was colored but it did wash right off anything else... I will post my starwars cake soon. I used blue and black. It looked really cool...

lilrev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilrev Posted 17 May 2006 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 12

thanks, carflea. Did you use the spray on bc or fondant?

MsFarmFresh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsFarmFresh Posted 17 May 2006 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 12

I use the blue all the time for the rainbow cake out of the Wilton Course 1 book when I am demonstrating for my students. I like how it looks and works, the only negative is the smell...it smells like a strong paint aerosol when you spray, but it doesn't smell on the cake.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 17 May 2006 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 12

I've used it on dried fondant pieces like my fall leaves and my crabs for my bushel of crabs cake but that's all.

Deb

MicheleF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleF Posted 17 May 2006 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 12

I have only used it once. I sprayed green on a BC cake. I did not like the results!!! It showed every imperfection of my BC icing.

Michele

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 17 May 2006 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 12

I've used them and really prefer the Betty Crocker mists. Unfortunately no one carries them around here anymore!! You will still have to have somewhat of a red icing as a base, otherwise I don't think you will achieve the red spiderman that you want. Also, it's OK to pipe your lines on top of it, but you do have to be careful not to touch it where you want it to be red, it smudges easily. You will have to wipe off your cake board and table, because it tends to go everywhere.

Make your red BC a couple of days in advance. I find the color tends to deepen the longer it sits. HTH

I use the mists for background colors, you know, sky, grass, etc. A couple of my pics you can see where I've used them. But I have never used it to the extent that you want to. Good luck with it!!!

carflea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carflea Posted 17 May 2006 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 12

I used it on BC. It does have an aresol smell when being sprayed make sure it's ventilated. My dh was looking into an airbrush. Idon't do enough cakes to justify that but maybe you do! The cans by me are 2.50 a piece....

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 17 May 2006 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by carflea

I used it on BC. It does have an aresol smell when being sprayed make sure it's ventilated. My dh was looking into an airbrush. Idon't do enough cakes to justify that but maybe you do! The cans by me are 2.50 a piece....

Someone posted this recently and I just saw it today, at Wal-mart, in the hobby cars section, they carry a single action airbrush system that uses a disposable can of pressurized air (at least, I think it was only air), for $20. It comes with 3 jars. As long as it has never been used, I don't see why this can't be used for cakes too. I'm guessing you can re-order the can or buy refills at Wal-mart (I had my kids so didn't get to look into it too well!). If it's only pressurized air, this system may work for those of us who don't need an airbrush system all the time.

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 18 May 2006 , 12:33am
post #10 of 12

I've used the wilton spray colors. I did those for the present cakes in my photos because they wanted everything bright primary colors and there was NO way I could get the frosting that bright w/out using a ton of coloring and making it taste bad. So I sprayed them. Cakes and bows. They worked fine. The bows were already dried when i did them. Nobody complained about the taste (in fact they raved over the cakes) and the color was WAY brighter than the original. They do smell when you spray, and, I'd even go so far as to suggest using a face mask and a drop cloth of some sort under the cake when you are working with it.

clb307 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clb307 Posted 18 May 2006 , 12:57am
post #11 of 12

You can also try to use a red Kool Aide or other powdered drink (use the ones that don't have sweetener in it) to give you a brighter red with a better taste.

naotter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naotter Posted 18 May 2006 , 2:34am
post #12 of 12

I used this for a spiderman cake I did a couple of years ago. I loved the look. It can go on very light or pass it over a few times to make it darker. I used both the blue & red. I will agree - it smells terribly, it does go every where when you spray it and it will smug when wet - but if you let it dry - it won't smug.

I have used other colors as well, not just on cakes but chocolate as well - I think it is very veristal.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%