*waahhh* Pets And Decorating Don't Mix

Decorating By meghanb Updated 20 May 2006 , 4:55am by Love-A-Lot

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:29am
post #1 of 31

I am making a cake for my mom's school for this Friday. She is celebrating 5 years of being a patrol there, as well it is national patrol week, or some such business.
It took me a week, but I made a little "mom" out of fondant.

And today my dog ate it in the 5 minutes I was gone. It has been sitting in the same spot all week, and today he decides to eat it.
Now that I am done crying, I guess I am going to give it another go.
LL

30 replies
jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 17 May 2006 , 2:10am
post #2 of 31

I'm sorry but that made me giggle. She was gorgeous (sp). Good luck with the new one. I know she'll look great. Maybe set her up on your fridge. Post a pick when you get it done. icon_biggrin.gif

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 17 May 2006 , 2:13am
post #3 of 31

WOW! You did a fantastice job!! Just consider this one your practice one! icon_cry.gif At least you have a picture.

wenfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wenfairy Posted 17 May 2006 , 2:14am
post #4 of 31

I feel your pain. I found my 19 month old eating my rolled buttercream rose centerpiece for my final wilton course cake one hour before the class. Apparently She learned how to climb up on the table. icon_cry.gif

i_love_icing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_love_icing Posted 17 May 2006 , 2:16am
post #5 of 31

I'm so sorry! One day my cat licked (then threw up) the icing off of several cupcakes I had made for the kids for school. icon_sad.gif Had to make them over again!

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 17 May 2006 , 2:20am
post #6 of 31

I feel your pain!!! icon_cry.gif At least you have time to redo. My dd once, got a bite at a cake for her brother's birthday (whew by chance I wasn't selling this one out) and then she turned the cake So I saw it only minutes before people arrived... just enough time to "patch" the hole icon_surprised.gif

it was gorgeous!!!!! he must have found it delicious... icon_wink.gif

Lorris

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 17 May 2006 , 2:21am
post #7 of 31

OMG I so know how you feel.... The molding looked great tho... Hope you can remake it in time.. She is gonna love it!

I had made a cake for my husbands work and as I sat there watching tv waiting for my cake to cool.... DH asks where Aboo (countersurfin dog) was.. I don't know, so he goes and checks and finds her ON TOP icon_eek.gif of the counter she has never gotten up there before but I guess this cake was so good she decided to jump up and really enjoy it. He was dying laughing.. I asked how she got over the gate and he got quiet said Ooops and smiled real big... Sorry I forgot to relatch it when I went and got a drink.. I was like well guess what you get to stop and pick something up cause Im not baking another one...lol HAHAHA Now who's laughing..
It was pretty funny tho.. Just didnt let him know I was dying inside

meghanb Posted 17 May 2006 , 2:35am
post #8 of 31

Well, it's some consolation to know that I am not the only one.

Another striking similarity between pets and children. icon_razz.gif

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 17 May 2006 , 2:42am
post #9 of 31

Pets are a pain in the a**!

yukisaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yukisaru Posted 17 May 2006 , 2:48am
post #10 of 31

I understand completely, I have three cats that ever since the plain cake I made for a co workers birthday I have to set up a barrier around my cooling cakes. I had the cake sitting out to cook with a rag over it to protect it from them and one of them walked across it, I ended up taking sliced strawberries and making a cat trail out of them across the cake. I don't even want to know the misfortunes that will fall upon me when I start the actual elaborate decorating stuff icon_confused.gif

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 17 May 2006 , 3:21am
post #11 of 31

Aw..I'm sorry!

A few years ago, my lab was diagnosed with diabetes. It was a tumultous month getting her all squared away, and I decided to make a cookie bouquet for her vet. Got the dog bone-shaped cookies baked, on a stick, and iced.

You guessed it...the diabetic dog jumped up and ate them all!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 17 May 2006 , 3:35am
post #12 of 31

My little beagle once ate the half of a bottom layer for a wedding cake, the night before the wedding! I had it cooling on a shelf in my laundry room, since I can close the door to beagle-proof it. Guess I needed to DH-proof it too that night, because he left the door open, and yep! The beagle did not waste a single moment getting her face buried in cake. She was in sheer heaven I'm sure! So, 11 pm, I sent DH out to buy more cake ingredients!
I feel your pain! She was adorable, I'm sure you'll be able to rebuild her just as cute! Try not to be too hard on the dog. While it's obviously not very good for them, they are really just walking slaves to their tummies! LOL

meghanb Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:23pm
post #13 of 31

Oh dear! Maybe I should be counting my lucky stars that I had enough time to redo the figure!
It's still a royal pain in the @ss......

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:31pm
post #14 of 31

My cat has developed a taste for white chocolate. Thank goodness she hasn't discovered buttercream yet! But, if it's white chocolate, I have to store it in the cold oven or behind a cupboard door, or if it's big...in the guest room, with the door shut. I had no idea cats would eat stuff like that. What a surprise!

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:43pm
post #15 of 31

Sorry to hear that, I just got a dog 2 months ago today, and let me tell you he does not miss his old owner not one bit.

When he first came to me he was scared of the mixing sound, now when he hears the mixer he is under my feet waiting for some powdered any to hit the floor.

I know it's just a matter of time before he eats something that has to go out the next day.

Will share the story when it happens.

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:44pm
post #16 of 31

This has happened to me, unfortunately, too many times! My golden, Cody, once ate approx. 50 buckeyes that were setting up on my dining room table (the middle of the table with chairs all around!!), he ate a 9"x13" Dora fbct cake for my neice (took me about 3 1/2 hours), and just recently, I had an 11" x 15" sheet cooling on the kitchen table, went outside for 3 minutes, and when I came back in, there was Cody helping himself to my cake! The really (not-so) funny thing is, my 2 children were sitting at the island eating, not even 5 ft. away from him and saw NOTHING! I would like to say I've learned my lesson, but...

Chefgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefgirl Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:44pm
post #17 of 31

Ah, the joys of pet ownership, as my FIL always says. I have a wedding cake to do this weekend and my husband is going to board our beagle because I can't deal with him and cake and I am so afraid he will get into something!
Sorry you had to redo the figure! But you're right, at least it was in time for you to make another one!
Momsandraven, we have had our beagle for almost a month, he is 10 months old. When will he get better?! Do they ever learn?

yukisaru Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:59pm
post #18 of 31

I think they learn but I also think that dogs are ruled by there stomach and cats there curiosity. My cats know better they just don't care.

Chefgirl Posted 17 May 2006 , 2:00pm
post #19 of 31

Yes, my cat and dog, too. They know what they are not supposed to do, but they just can't help themselves!

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 17 May 2006 , 2:04pm
post #20 of 31

Just wanted to say, these are some funny stories, ( But, I'm sure not at the time, and until it happens to me) but keep them coming.

Chefgirl Posted 17 May 2006 , 2:10pm
post #21 of 31

One of my friends told me to read "Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog". Maybe all dog owners should read it, I'm sure we could all relate!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 17 May 2006 , 2:16pm
post #22 of 31

Yeah - I had a wedding last year that involved circling the base of each tier with buttercream roses (see pink 3-tier in my photos) I spent 2 days making them and they were laying out to dry on our DR table - too high for the dog (under normal circumstances!) on the morning of the wedding I was in the laundry room and I heard a metallic crash sound, I went running and discovered that the dog had moved a chair away from the table just enough so she could get up on it, then got up on the table, and knocked off one of the baking sheets that contained my dried BC roses. I was able to salvage about half that she hadn't already eaten in less than ninety seconds...but I didn't have quite enough to complete the cake and no time to make more. So what you DON'T see in the photo are the gaps in back where I had to space the roses out to accommodate the shortage!

I guess luckily she thought it more prudent to knock a pan to the floor to eat instead of just standing on the table to graze...I'd never have been alterted and all the roses would have been gone at that point!

So now when I do anything involving the DR table, we move the chairs into the living room icon_biggrin.gif

yukisaru Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:20pm
post #23 of 31

I think I would have cried if my dog did something like that, although I have never made...well anything as of yet but I start making stuff this weekend. The roses are so beautiful and it is even painful for me to hear about that. Did you have any problems with the wedding for it?

GenesisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenesisCakes Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:29pm
post #24 of 31

Great pet stories. I have two cats and they simply do not care. but in case I always put a dish cloth over cooling cakes and i put them on counter tops. Dogs I know are alot tougher to fool when it comes to food.

cakerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerlady Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:33pm
post #25 of 31

My DH's cat was always a table surfer. For my parents 60th anniversary I made a special cake and left it on the counter. Sure enough she swiped the side of it and made a big hole. MY DH couldn't understand why I was so upset. icon_confused.gif

Luckily, our dog is a lab that won't touch anything that you don't specifically give to her. So far anyway.......

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 17 May 2006 , 7:59pm
post #26 of 31

my cat gets a taste for buttercream every now and then and he doesn't think twice about sampling it, then i have to throw it out....unless....someone ticks me off - just kidding LOL icon_lol.gif

sdfgarcia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfgarcia Posted 18 May 2006 , 9:10pm
post #27 of 31

After more than a decade of having dogs who totally disregard whatever is going on in our kitchen, DH and I have adopted a little lab puppy who is tall enough and curious enough to stand on her hind legs and put her front paws on the counter. Cake decorating, and cake guarding, has taken on a whole new dimension since Lilly joined our family!!! I am dreading the day, and I know it will come, that she gets into something she's not supposed to get into!

I hope it all works out with your cake. At least you got photos ahead of time, and hopefully your mom is a dog lover! icon_smile.gif

quills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quills Posted 18 May 2006 , 10:08pm
post #28 of 31

I just started selling my cakes. My first pickup was to be at 9:00 last Saturday morning. I woke up Sat. terrified that something had happened to my cake, but no, it was fine. I did my last-minute assembly at 8:00, inserting some royal icing/pretzel rod palm trees and a Dora topper. Again, big sigh of relief that it all worked out the way I wanted. I then left the cake on the dining table (box wouldn't close because of the palm trees, of course) & ran to the store to get some milk. My husband called my cell phone as I was returning to tell me "you have a problem." Our new kitten had stepped in the cake, causing it to say "Happy 3d Birthdau." Fortunately, I was able to fix it & I did learn a valuable lesson. But boy, did I want to drop-kick that cat!

meghanb Posted 19 May 2006 , 3:15pm
post #29 of 31

Well, I am happy to say the cake is done!
It is in my photos.

I am pretty happy with how it turned out, and thank you everyone for sharing your stories!

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 20 May 2006 , 12:00am
post #30 of 31

I'm sorry to hear what happened but pets can do the darndest things! It just made me think of the time when my cat took a big bite out of the first gingerbread house I ever made. Lol! I think you did a great job at modeling the figure! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%