Question About Choc. Chip Cookie Recipe (Butter V.s Marg.)

Baking By CakeDiva73 Updated 1 May 2007 , 11:55am by jen1977

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 13

I have a really good recipe for choc. chip cookies which tastes great but look like flat little patties of road kill icon_biggrin.gif and I don't remember how to alter the fat in the recipe so they puff up a bit......it's the real butter that makes them flat, right? Could I sub a stick of butter flav. crisco for one of the cubes of real butter and would that give them a little height?

Thanks for any advice icon_smile.gif

12 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 13

Alton Brown has a comparison of recipes that do exactly that.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_13616,00.html?rsrc=search

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 13

Butter/margarine causes cookies to spread.
Shortening causes them to rise.

Think of making biscuits .... you cut shortening into the flour to make biscuits. biscuits rise. Butter has a lower melting point, so it's logical that it will break down sooner than shortening while in the oven.

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 13

I make them all the time and they never turn out the same!!!! I use real butter (i did learn that you can not use salted and unsalted togeather. icon_smile.gif ) I have made them with marg. also and had the same problem. I think when I beat them a little longer they come out puffier. My BF read that if you put the dough in the frig for a little while that also helps.

HTH
Diane

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 13

Refrigerate the cookies on the pan before putting them in the oven. The longer the dough is out before baking, the more they will spread in the oven.

daisyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyz Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 13

Whenever mine turn out flat, I add a little flour to the dough and they turn out great! (I also use margarine)

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 13

My mom only makes her chocolate chip cookies with butter flavored crisco. My kids like them better! icon_cry.gif

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 13

You can also use cake flour to help with your puff. It makes a more cake like puffy cookie. You can also change the brown sugar and white sugar ratios to help with your consistency. Good luck!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 11:05pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifetrat

My mom only makes her chocolate chip cookies with butter flavored crisco. My kids like them better! icon_cry.gif

This will give you a puffier cookie, however, my customers did not prefer them. I usually use Country Crock sticks....slightly flat, but not near as flat as cookies made with real butter (although I love real butter in the recipe). So, my advice if you want a puffier cookie is to use the butter-flavored crisco....although not as rich in flavor (IMO).

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 May 2007 , 12:44am
post #10 of 13

Well, I think I am going to use a combo of real butter and butter Crisco so I don't lose the butter flavor all together.....Usually I refridgerate the cookie dough and they hold their shape a bit better but sometimes I want to whip out a batch quick and don't have time... thanks alot.

Also, never knew you could't combine salted & unsalted butter in cookies - I wonder why not? I am almost certain I did last time since I didn't have enough of one or the other....

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 1 May 2007 , 12:57am
post #11 of 13

I use half unsalted butter, and half shortening, and they are perfectly puffy. Also, I take them out about a minute before they are really done, and let them set in the pan a few minutes, then remove them to cool. Perfect texture, and they are chewy and crispy at the same time.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 May 2007 , 1:31am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambo

Quote:

This will give you a puffier cookie, however, my customers did not prefer them. ....

I used the butter flavor crisco once, and ..... uh.....well..... let's just say I used it ONCE.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 1 May 2007 , 11:55am
post #13 of 13
Quote:

So do I, and people go nuts over them! It's the recipe I've been using for many years. My mom always used butter, and says mine are better. I don't like how flat cookies made with butter or margarine look. The butter crisco makes them nice and puffy, whic hhelps when adding other things such as toffee chips. I have never tasted another chocolate chip cookie that I liked better. My boys won't hardly touch other chocolate chip cookies! My 6 year old will say.....You didn't make these did you? HAHA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%