Stacked Tier Cake - First Time

Decorating By sardog57wife Updated 6 May 2005 , 4:36pm by sardog57wife

sardog57wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sardog57wife Posted 6 May 2005 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 4

I am donating a cake for a silent auction next week. I was thinking along the lines of a stacked tier cake. I have only done one tier cake and that was Wilton Course III and i'm not fixin to use the separator plates and all that jazz.

My question comes in at this...........from what I have gathered from reading tutorials on this, I will put each layer on it's own circle (6, 8 and 10), insert dowl rods in each cake as well as a sharpened rod down the center of the cake. Is that correct?

I just want to try to get this right before I even start.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

Stephanie W.

3 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 6 May 2005 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 4

Sounds right to me! thumbs_up.gif

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 6 May 2005 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 4

You've got it right. Just make sure that your bottom board is heavy enough to support the weight of all the tiers.

sardog57wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sardog57wife Posted 6 May 2005 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 4

AWESOME!! Thanks for the help. I remember my instructor saying to get a cheap sheet of plywood to use as a sturdy base for the cake, so I plan on getting that this weekend and cutting it to size.

I hope this works, it's my first big cake..............i'm contimplating whether to attempt the rolled buttercream or just stick with the traditional buttercream that I know how to work with. I don't think this would be the time to be experimenting huh? icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again for your help!!

Stephanie W.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%