Gum Tex In Mmf

Decorating By bakenbetty Updated 17 May 2006 , 1:04am by tastycakes

bakenbetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakenbetty Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 9

hi i was just wondering, could you put gum tex in mmf to make it more elasticy and maybe not so sticky. thanks

8 replies
okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 16 May 2006 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 9

What I do is make a batch of Gum Paste and a batch of MMF and then mix half and half as I make bows, flowers, but I wouldn't cover a cake with it.

If your mmf is too sticky, you may need some more sugar mixed in? At what point is it sticky? When trying to mold, then you may need some crisco.

Also, gum tex isn't pure white. For whiter molding medium I have to add white coloring.

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 16 May 2006 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 9

also, this will dry hard and fragile, will crack easily

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 16 May 2006 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 9

If I need my mmf to harden more quickly, I will add a bit gum-tex. This is only for accents/flowers. I wouldn't put it in mmf that would be covering a cake.

bakenbetty Posted 16 May 2006 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 9

thanks guys, this is what i needed to know. i wanted my bows and flowers to dry faster. oh and i know i would'nt cover a cake with it but for bows and flowers, could they be eaten if i addad the gum tex.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 16 May 2006 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 9

How much gum tex do you need to add to the mmf? I recently tried to do this- I added about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon to a pretty small ball of MMF. I made my bow but it didn't even dry at all by the next day.

Thanks,

Courtney

bakenbetty Posted 17 May 2006 , 12:35am
post #7 of 9

thanks guys, this is what i needed to know. i wanted my bows and flowers to dry faster. oh and i know i would'nt cover a cake with it but for bows and flowers, could they be eaten if i addad the gum tex.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 17 May 2006 , 12:50am
post #8 of 9

Yep, they can be eaten. Not so tasty to many, but safe nonetheless. I had lots of kids eat the ducks off my baby shower cake. No adverse effects. I think they tasted like stale circus peanuts (you know, the orange ones)

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 17 May 2006 , 1:04am
post #9 of 9

okred, I always use half and half, and I've found it only makes it stronger and rarely cracks! Not fragile at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%