Second Layer Of Frosting The Next Day? Updated

Decorating By Seester Updated 6 May 2005 , 2:12pm by Lisa

Seester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Seester Posted 6 May 2005 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 3

Has anyone ever done a crumb coat and a regular layer of frosting, let it set overnight and then frosted again?
I was frosting a chocolate cake last night, did the crumb coat and everything and still have a ton of crumbs. It was 11:30 and I just didn't have it in me to make up another batch and try to smooth and such all over again. I was wondering if even though it's sat overnight, could I frost again on top of what's there without distroying the cake?

Well I just did another layer of frosting and it worked perfect!! No trouble at all. That first one just acted as a heavy duty crumb coat. I'm waiting for it to dry a bit before I smooth but already the cake looks a ton better!!
Thanks for your help

2 replies
Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 6 May 2005 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 3

I don't see why not. You may need to scrape off some of the frosting so it won't be too thick. Or you can thin down your icing and cover over the icing that's there (just thin enough to cover).

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 6 May 2005 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 3

I think you could. I 'd thin the icing like Mchelle said. It might help too to put the cake in the fridge before putting on the second layer of icing. Then the first layer will be stiffer and less likely to pull up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%