tips for applying ganache

Decorating By montanakate Updated 6 May 2005 , 12:27pm by montanakate

montanakate Posted 6 May 2005 , 4:30am
post #1 of 4

Ok so I just did my firts ganach covered cake, chocolate explosion recipe given to my by calif4dawn. I think I did something wrong though. I put the buttercream layer on and then covered w/ the ganache. I tried to let the ganache cool a little so it wouldn't melt the butter cream but it looks like it did anyway. It started out pretty smoothe but after a few minutes I got these glops on the sides. icon_cry.gifWhen you do this should your BC layer be really thin or just regular? should you let it crust or put in the fridge? Or should I let the ganache cool more? I thought it would be hard to pour if too cool.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

3 replies
cupcakequeen Posted 6 May 2005 , 5:31am
post #2 of 4

Next time, you might try it without buttercream.
When I use ganache, it's all I use. I don't use any BC because I find the ganache is sweet enough.

tcturtleshell Posted 6 May 2005 , 5:37am
post #3 of 4

The BC is only for a base so the ganache will stick to it. All you need is a very thin crumb coat of BC. And like cupcakequeen said... you really don't need a BC coat. I have done it w/& w/out & they came out fine. If the ganache is too hot it will just melt the BC off or if you use w/out BC it will just all run to the bottom of your cake plate & be too thin. So I would let it cool off a little longer. Hope that helps~

montanakate Posted 6 May 2005 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the tips. I thought that you have to hav the BC or it wouldn't be smoothe, see how much I know icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%