Help...i Am Trying To Make "ice" Out Of Cooked Sug

Sugar Work By patton78 Updated 2 Jan 2009 , 9:16pm by ZAKIA6

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 1:21am
post #1 of 47

I am trying to make "ice" to put in a beer bucket cake and I cannot get the correct consistency and color. Does anyone know what temp I need to boil the sugar to so that it will be hard enough to break into pieces but not discolor?? I obvioulsy need it to stay white so it looks like ice. My first batch was the perfect consistency, broke perfectly into pieces, but is yellow/brown. My second batch I freaked out and pulled it off the stove because I thought it looked yellow but once it cooled, it was a BIG sticky sugar mess that went straight into the garbage. Can anyone help me???

46 replies
patton78 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 1:59am
post #2 of 47

ANYONE?? icon_cry.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:02am
post #3 of 47

I would use isomalt but it can be hard to find. It will be sticky from the humidity you have regardless. You could go to 280* which is soft crack and 300* is hard crack. Might still have some color to it though.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:07am
post #4 of 47

Ok, I know how you feel. Breathe!!!

I made a gingerbread car for the holidays and made candy from sugar, corn syrup and water. I colered it and poured it where I needed it, it was really easy and it lasted for a long time Nov. 22 to Jan 18th, when we finnally retired the car. You can check out my pics. McQueen Gingerbread.

http://www.cakecentral.com/mod.....t=0&pos=49

The recipe is easy:
HARD CANDY RECIPE: recipe from different web site.
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
3/4 cup light corn syrup (clear kind otherwise you get the color off the bat)
1/2 teaspoon candy oil, if the windows will be eaten.
Food coloring if you need it.
Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in heavy 2 quart saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved; then lower heat and boil without stirring until the candy thermometer reads 300°F.
I set my electronic thermometer at 288 and watch it come up (no distractions).
If sugar crystals form on sides of pan wipe off using a wet paper towel. Remove form heat, add coloring and oil flavoring if needed.

It you pour on a siltpat and are just making a large square you might get away with it.
It's super easy and fast.

Good Luck

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:12am
post #5 of 47

I asked MelissaRHK for her recipe for her Beer Ice chest some time ago to make ice shards for my Superman Fortress Cake (which I just made again this past weekend).

Here is what she suggested I do:

it's the same sucker recipe only with light corn syrup -- the recipe is from another board -- Dena was the original poster -- -- it's super easy

1 cup of sugar, 1/2 corn syrup and 1 tablespoon of water -- in a 2 cup pryrex measuring cup -- Microwave for 6 ot 7 minutes -- to reach hard crack state -- Normally I do mine on the stove, but the microwave is sooo much easier -- be careful it's really hot -- I really recommend using a glass container with a handle..

for the ice, i poured over crumpbled aluminion foil -- spray with pam or other non stick first -- and then cracked --

for what you want -- I would leave the foil flat and then take a butter knife or spoon and lay out the spikes --

let cool and then remove --

light corn syrup will give you clear, dark the color of the bottles

you can also color and flavor -- just like hard candy suckers

oh, be careful not to burn the sugar -- i stop about 3 minutes and stir and then check at 6 -- it will make a definite CRACK in the water --

you can pour in to silicon mold too -- that's how the bottles were done

again, becareful! it's HOT!!!!!

Hope what she suggested helps you. I actually boo booed one of the batches (left it in for 7 minutes instead of 6) DEFINATELY made a color difference...way too yellow!

-Michelle

gateaux Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:19am
post #6 of 47

msauer - wow that sounds really easy. I will have to try it that way, I am just afraid that our microwave albeit only 1 1/2 years old is not consistent, do you think checking it twice during the cooking ok?

Thanks again.

Good Luck.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:28am
post #7 of 47

MSauer..... can you make your own molds for the beer bottles? I was thinking of doing a beer chest for the grooms cake for my daughters wedding. I emailed someone about directions for both the bottles and how to do the chest but never got an answer.

So if you put the clear on crumpled aluminum it makes it look like crushed ice?

msauer Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:30am
post #8 of 47

I think that it would be okay to check it twice. I had NEVER made hard candy before and this was easy as pie. I noticed that right after stirring the candy hardened on the spoon fairly quickly (obviously), so I just was sure to use a clean/dry spoon on the second stir/pour.

CAUTION:
I tried making a double batch...BIG MISTAKE. I even remember emailing MelissaRHK back and asking her about it. She said that she had the same problem when attempting a double as well. So, I don't know the answer on adjusting cooking time for a DOUBLE batch, but I can tell ya that I threw away alot of Karo that day! LOL!!!!

-Michelle

patton78 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:41am
post #9 of 47

MSAUER,

So, your saying that the sugar needs to get to the hard crack stage? I prefer to do mine on the stove with a candy thermometer so I can keep a close eye on it. The weird thing is, my first batch did not even make it to the hard ball stage and it came out quite yellow. I have a new thermometer so I do not think that is the problem. Maybe the recipe i used? It was equal amount sugar (1/2 cup) to corn syrup, no water added. Do you think that would make a differance? I really appreciate everyone's help, I really want to figure this out because it is such a cool idea!

msauer Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:42am
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundine2

MSauer..... can you make your own molds for the beer bottles? I was thinking of doing a beer chest for the grooms cake for my daughters wedding. I emailed someone about directions for both the bottles and how to do the chest but never got an answer.

So if you put the clear on crumpled aluminum it makes it look like crushed ice?

Yes to the crumpled aluminum foil! Crumple it up and then haphazardly "flatten" it out a bit. Make sure you give it a good coat of non-stick spray down in those nooks and crannies. (I bet if you poured it quick enough you could place another crumpled piece on top (don't forget to spray it too) and then both sides would be textured.

As for the bottle molds, I know that the person told me that they used a pre-fab mold and then used both light and dark corn syrup in the recipe to make different "brands" of beer, but I am sure you could make your own. It would have to withstand the heat, so I am thinking you may have to use something like that silicone plastique (www.makeyourownmolds.com). I have made some of my own, but I used the cheap stuff from the craft store in the clay dept. (Sculpey Mold Maker). I know it's not "food friendly", but no one was eating that part anyway.

msauer Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:57am
post #11 of 47

I think that you do need to get to hard crack.

So, when you are using the thermometer do you let it in the pan the whole time? I've read (and experienced with a homemade caramel candy recipe) that if you leave the thermometer in the pan it will give you false reads. You aren't really up to the temp you THINK you are. Take it out, wash and dry between each time you check it (BIG PAIN...I KNOW). Maybe that would help. (I know it seems like a no brainer, but also make sure you thermometer isn't hitting the bottom of the pan either)

If all else fails, try the version I posted. I swear it is so easy you are gonna wonder why you are standing over the stove checking your thermometer.

patton78 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:59am
post #12 of 47

[quote="sundine2"]MSauer..... can you make your own molds for the beer bottles? I was thinking of doing a beer chest for the grooms cake for my daughters wedding. I emailed someone about directions for both the bottles and how to do the chest but never got an answer.

Check out the How To Forum and there is a great thread there on how to make the beer bottle molds.

patton78 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:05am
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by msauer

I think that you do need to get to hard crack.

So, when you are using the thermometer do you let it in the pan the whole time? I've read (and experienced with a homemade caramel candy recipe) that if you leave the thermometer in the pan it will give you false reads. You aren't really up to the temp you THINK you are. Take it out, wash and dry between each time you check it (BIG PAIN...I KNOW). Maybe that would help. (I know it seems like a no brainer, but also make sure you thermometer isn't hitting the bottom of the pan either)

If all else fails, try the version I posted. I swear it is so easy you are gonna wonder why you are standing over the stove checking your thermometer.

Yes, I am making sure the thermometer is not touching the bottom of the pan. I never knew that you should not leave the thermometer in the pan though, I always have. I guess I should be brave and try the microwave method since you said it works... I am just skeptical of that. It sounds too easy icon_lol.gif And I am worried because I know how picky sugar is and all microwaves are differant so how will I really know when it is done?

CakeRN Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:18am
post #14 of 47

Ok Patton78.....I must be totally stupid because I can't find the thread. I did a search on beer bottle molds but didn't see it... of course my eyes are crossing right now and I need to go to bed but the addiction is so strong for this website that I can't break loose.... icon_lol.gif

asul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asul Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:24am
post #15 of 47

thanks guys this very imformative

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:10am
post #16 of 47

save

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:34am
post #17 of 47

save

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:45am
post #18 of 47

This was written by SweetResults

The molds and bottles can be done in one day, for best results though, plan on 2 days for overnight drying of your latex mold.

Instructions for Sugar Beer Bottles

Remove label and wash the bottle you want to mold, fit a cork wrapped in plastic into the top so that it is even and flat with the top of the bottle. You may have to cut the cork to size first, then wrap in plastic and insert into the top of the bottle. If you do not use the plastic you may get bits of cork in the top of your mold. This will not harm your mold.

Using Rubber Latex (paint several coats over the entire bottle (except the bottom of course), letting it dry in between coats. It is best to let it sit over night after the final coat, but I have made and used a mold in one day.

Once it has dried thorouly begin lifting the mold from around the bottom of the bottle, loosening it all the way around.

Roll the mold off the bottle, do not worry if it begins to stick to itself a bit, it will pull apart. To roll the mold completely off the bottle it will most likely turn inside out. Simply use a mixing spoon to push it right side out. As the mold cures more over time it will stop sticking to itself.

Using any kind of modeling clay, make a half bottle mold using the same bottle, this will be the support for your latex mold. If the mold tilts the top of the bottle downwards at bit this helps, I did not think to do this when I made my first mold.

Rest the latex mold in the clay mold and then prepare your sugar.

Mix ½ cup sugar and ½ light corn syrup in a two cup glass measuring cup and place in microwave. Microwave the mixture for 6 minutes at 50%. then micro at full power for another 2-3 minutes, depending on how dark you want your bottle. It will continue to darken a bit once you remove it from the microwave.

Carefully pour the mixture into the mold a little at a time, rotating the latex mold slowly to evenly coat the mold, letting it rest in the clay mold to keep its shape. The latex will be hot to the touch, so gloves or potholders are needed. Once you have coated the mold, continue to pour the sugar into the mold and continue to rotate until you have used all the sugar.

Once the sugar has cooled, remove the mold from the sugar bottle the same way you did from the real bottle, loosen the bottom, and roll the mold off the bottle. When you get to the neck give it a gentle tug and it will come free.

I was able to make six bottles in one afternoon with only one mold. If you have any trouble with the neck of the bottle you can always wrap it in gold foil like some of the fancy imported beers!

I made my labels in Fireworks, but you could use any program like Photoshop, Word, whatever is comfortable for you. If you are not selling the cakes and do not have to worry about a copywrite you could even copy actual beer labels from a Google search and size them in any similar program.

I printed them on regular paper first to test the size. Once I was satisfied with the design I printed them onto edible sheets and cut them to size. A few seconds in the freezer and they separate easily from the backing paper and I attached them with a bit of corn syrup. If you do not have an edible printer you can always make paper labels and stick them on with corn syrup as well. Just let everyone know not to eat them!

I realize there could be some concern of latex allergies, I am not sure to what extent the latex will transfer to the sugar. If you do not want to use rubber latex for your molds these sites also have mold making materials that may work for you instead. If you use something like the Silicone Plastique I would think you could mold the plastique completely around the bottle, then once it cures cut it in half to release the bottle making 2 half bottles that could then fit back together. Band them together with rubber bands and pour the sugar into the mold, rotating to coat it. Once the sugar hardens you could then release the bottle from the 2 molds. I think I would have tried this if I had more time to order the Plastique.

http://www.culinart.net/silicone.html

http://www.fineartstore.com/cg.....r6zgx.792

http://www.chefrubber.com/

I hope these make sense and at least point some of you in the right direction to start making your own bottles.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-147691-.html

gateaux Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:16am
post #19 of 47

giggysmack -- thank you so much for the bottle instructions I want to find a reason to make some bottles now.

Another idea for the label if you do not have a food grade printer is to use potato wafer or rice paper. You can use food markers on it and afix it with a bit of corn syrup it a bit brittle if you do not store it in an air tight container, but if you are carefull it works out great.

Good Luck.

patton78 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 11:28am
post #20 of 47

Well, if any of ya'll make the ice with success, let me know. I am giong to attempt it again today for the third time! That is, after I go to the store and buy some more caro syrup!
Thanks for all the help so far.

handymama Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 12:42pm
post #21 of 47

Probably not time for this project, but remember making rock candy when you were a kid? If the sugar crystal "rocks" were the right size you could do it that way.

patton78 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:28pm
post #22 of 47

Yes, that would work!
That rock candy you can buy in the store would also work but it is not around where I live anywhere!

CakeRN Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 7:09pm
post #23 of 47

Wow...thanks so much for the detailed instructions. I am going to see if I can find someplace that sells the silicone plastique if not I will order it.

patton78 Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:48pm
post #24 of 47

Well, I finished the cake! Thank you for all your help making the ice. I had a lot of trouble with this cake but learned ALOT for next time! The cake is in my gallery if you would like to take a look.

handymama Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:52pm
post #25 of 47

Not finding the cake. Which one is it?

icing_fever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icing_fever Posted 6 May 2007 , 5:03am
post #26 of 47

save

CakeRN Posted 6 May 2007 , 11:11pm
post #27 of 47

Patton78 ...your cake is great. Are those real beer bottles? I love your ice...it turned out great...

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:43am
post #28 of 47

FYI on the sugar that didn't cook long enough, you can put it back on the stove for longer - even if it is all cooled.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:53am
post #29 of 47

Very interesting thread!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 1:30am
post #30 of 47

I know this thread is pretty old, but hpoefully someone is still watching it. icon_lol.gif

I am confused on the aluminum foil bit. What am I hoping to acheive by the crinkling and smoothing out? Does that make the suagr look like ice cubes or something? I woudl like to make the sugar cubes or even chipped pieces like form the ice bags, but I think I am jsut a little too dense to grasp the great information posted here. It has been a long day! icon_confused.gif

Thanks for any advice! Julia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%