Cmc Powder/tylose How Do I Use It????

Decorating By MustloveDogs Updated 30 Apr 2007 , 6:09am by MustloveDogs

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 7:59am
post #1 of 4

I have bought some cmc powder (tylose) and wondered how I use it to strengthen my fondant and also how to use it as a glue.

Do I just roll my fondant in a little of it and then model my figures etc, or do I use a certain measurement of it per amount of fondant?????

Also, I believe that you can make a sugar glue with cmc powder and water, does the water need to be hot/cold/warm and how much powder do I put versus how much water??? And how long will it keep for??

Thanks all!!!

3 replies
JenniferHeath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferHeath Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 8:04am
post #2 of 4

Wow?! Sorry, I'm no help at all. Let me know what you find out though. This is a good learning lesson.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 11:18am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by keira

I have bought some cmc powder (tylose) and wondered how I use it to strengthen my fondant and also how to use it as a glue.

Do I just roll my fondant in a little of it and then model my figures etc, or do I use a certain measurement of it per amount of fondant?????

Also, I believe that you can make a sugar glue with cmc powder and water, does the water need to be hot/cold/warm and how much powder do I put versus how much water??? And how long will it keep for??

Thanks all!!!

Hi keira

I usually add about 1 to 2 teaspoons of tylose to 500grams of fondant. to make the glue the directions i have on my container says to dissolve 1 teaspoon of tylose into 1/4 cup of water, stir over heat until smooth. you will have little lumps in it but these will dissolve usually over night.

cheers

kylie

edited to add that i just knead the tylose into the fondant on my bench

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 6:09am
post #4 of 4

Thanks Kylie!!
That's exactly what I needed to know!! I thought that since I colour all my fondant up, I could just add the cmc to it before I use it to model, instead of having to seperately colour up some modelling paste.

Thanks again!!
Keira

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%