Do Some Of You Make Your Own Gum Paste?

Decorating By mrsfish94 Updated 12 May 2005 , 9:36pm by lovetobake

mrsfish94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfish94 Posted 5 May 2005 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 13

I was just wondering if that is something decorators do. I know it is probably a dumb question.

12 replies
Justcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justcakes Posted 5 May 2005 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 13

I do! I use Nick Lodge's recipe. thumbs_up.gif It's easy to make and makes wonderful flowers. The recipe is on his webiste http://www.nicholaslodge.com

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 May 2005 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 13

i have a recipe in the new cake book i bought. i wonder if his recipe is the same? icon_cool.gif i posted the recipe a few days back.

diane Posted 5 May 2005 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 13

where on his website is his recipe??? icon_confused.gif

Justcakes Posted 5 May 2005 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 13

Here's the direct link.

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm icon_biggrin.gif

HTH!

diane Posted 5 May 2005 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 13

thanks!!! icon_biggrin.gif
-the recipe i have doesn't require tylose...whatever that is icon_confused.gif
here's the easy recipe i have:

p1 pkg. gelatin
1/4c. water
1 tbs. light corn syrup
1lb. powdered sugar

diane Posted 5 May 2005 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 13

oh, i haven't tried this recipe yet...i will be doing that tomorrow because i have some time on my hands just to experiment and practice!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Justcakes Posted 5 May 2005 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 13

Tylose is great. You can order it from Nick's site and I know Sugarcraft and Global Sugar Art carry it too. The nice thing about Tylose is that you can use it to add to fondant for modeling figures (gives you a great wrok time and they dry hard which is perfect for figures). I know most people who do a lot of gumpaste work swear by Nick's recipe.

diane Posted 5 May 2005 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 13

i am going to try this recipe and see what the difference is. i live on the other
side of the world, so i have to order most of my stuff and the shipping charges are ridiculous...so i am gonna try this alternative, "easy on the wallet" recipe and see how it turns out. icon_biggrin.gif

mrsfish94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfish94 Posted 5 May 2005 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks for the info. I am going to try it myself. I haven't taken a class yet but I do have a book on how to. I figure I can try until a class opens up. I missed the last class by a few days. Oh well, sometimes we are a day late or a dollar short.

lovetobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetobake Posted 10 May 2005 , 1:06am
post #11 of 13

Hi,

I have tried several times to make gum paste flowers and the gumpaste is always so dry and cracks. Not sure what happened. I think I will try one of the recipes you have shared and see what happens. If you have any other advice for working with gumpaste let me know.
icon_biggrin.gif

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 12 May 2005 , 9:41am
post #12 of 13

Well, it does dry out very fast and you have to keep it under glass or plastic .. like about a minute and it's a solid object.. I had trouble with cracking on it, too. Some people mix half fondant and half gum paste to get stronger and more flexible decorations than just one or the other.

lovetobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetobake Posted 12 May 2005 , 9:36pm
post #13 of 13

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I will try that and see if it works.

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%