Australia Allergies???????????????

Decorating By MustloveDogs Updated 17 May 2006 , 11:03am by MustloveDogs

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 14 May 2006 , 12:00am
post #1 of 9

Hi,
I have a question for all of my fellow Australians,(or anyone else if the brands are available here hopefully) do you know what brands and where I can get nut free ingredients from???

I want to do a cake for my hubby's boss's son and he has a peanut allergy. I have checked some ingredients, and I believe I can buy nut free chocolate, so can do a chocolate mud cake, but for example my pure icing sugar says " made on equipment that may contain nuts" and I use this to dust my bench and can't do without it!!

Do you know of pure icing sugar or any other ingredients.. sugars, flours etc that I can get that will be nut free?????????

Please help, I don't want to have to say No, but am worried how I can do it!!!

Many Thanks
Keira

8 replies
dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 14 May 2006 , 11:18am
post #2 of 9

I have a few friends with kids who have nut allergies.... you need to find out more about the type of nut allergy. Most who have it only react if they eat the physical nut itself in which case an item like pure icing sugar made in the same factory or production line will be ok. But for those who have an anaphalaxic (?? typo) allergy then you will need to hunt for pure pure stuff and I would probably go to a health food store.. one of the big chain type ones.

k

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 14 May 2006 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 9

The best icing sugar to buy is Bundaberg Pure Icing sugar which you can buy in the supermarkets - Franklins and I think Coles may also stock it. I have just had a look at the packet and there is no mention of any nuts in it, but it would be best to ask them directly.

sheri277 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheri277 Posted 14 May 2006 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 9

I'm not from Australia but I do have a son with Peanut/tree allergies. If the boy has a strong allergy just the residue from your bench from other projects could set off a reaction. You have to be so careful not to cross contaminate. Just my 2 cents.

MustloveDogs Posted 15 May 2006 , 12:54am
post #5 of 9

Thanks, yes the little boy is extremely allergice to peanuts and cannot have any products that say "made on a line that contains nuts". I have a Trumps brand icing sugar, thanks I will check out the bundaberg one at the supermarket. I am going to ask the mum if she gets any flour, sugar etc from certain places, and try them.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 15 May 2006 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 9

Whereabouts are you Keira?

MustloveDogs Posted 16 May 2006 , 12:40am
post #7 of 9

Hi Boring,
I'm in sunny Brisbane.

Renuka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renuka Posted 16 May 2006 , 7:41am
post #8 of 9

Hi Keira

You could find out what sugar he has and then use that brand. You will need to grind the sugar to a fine powder and then sieve it. I know you can do it because I have done it before (desperate measure). HTH. Or you could call CSR (they are in QLD, aren't they?) and find out.

Renu

MustloveDogs Posted 17 May 2006 , 11:03am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for your help everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%