A Mountain Cake W/ Ski Slope?

Decorating By fia Updated 17 May 2006 , 4:45am by fia

fia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fia Posted 12 May 2006 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone made a cake for an avid downhill skiier?

Mountains, ski lift, trees?

I've thought of; stacking layers, boarding between, stacking more layers. (or the use of styrofoam for the actual peaks) Having at least 3 peaks, giving it many downhill runs.

Then a cake carving technique would be useful...

Fondant covered? Royal Icing covered or a combo?

Pulled Sugar (Isomalt) for the ski lift cables. Pastillage or gumpaste posts and ski lift carriage.

I'm not doing well with the multitude of tiny trees that are needed....

Any advice?

Fia in California

8 replies
PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 12 May 2006 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 9

Found this online. It might give you some ideas. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

http://members.westnet.com.au/stingray_f5b/jpg/wedding/weddingcake.jpg

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 12 May 2006 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 9

Wow. That's quite a project you have planned. I've only done one mountain cake myself and it was pretty basic (albeit a tad on the large side) for a rock climbing party. I covered it in MMF and used Kellie and friends dolls (the hiking pack with bendable knees) to climb up the mountain. Photos in my photos. GL on your cake.

cailean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cailean Posted 12 May 2006 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 9

What a wonderful idea! I love challenges like that. I'm sure you will be very successful. I thought I'd share some ideas I had when I read your post:
A white chocolate ganache might be a way to cover the cake by simply pouring the ganache over the top rather than having to find a way to spread something over peaks.
I think fondant is another great way to go. Piping something like royal icing might take too long unless there is a pourable royal icing.
I love the baking911.com site. There are tons of ideas. In fact another idea I think you'd find from there is white chocolate plastic that might work for molding things.
For trees, I have seen white chocolate dyed green and piped into a 2D tree shape, then multiples of those glued together upright with white chocolate into a very modern-looking tree. Trunk could be a pretzel rod (the big ones).
Another option for trees is something that I did once - took green Sour Patch Kids and flattened them and cut out like a Christmas tree shape. Then speared it with a green toothpick and stuck it in a cake. Gets the job done.
icon_smile.gif
Cailean

Quote:
Originally Posted by fia

Has anyone made a cake for an avid downhill skiier?

Mountains, ski lift, trees?

I've thought of; stacking layers, boarding between, stacking more layers. (or the use of styrofoam for the actual peaks) Having at least 3 peaks, giving it many downhill runs.

Then a cake carving technique would be useful...

Fondant covered? Royal Icing covered or a combo?

Pulled Sugar (Isomalt) for the ski lift cables. Pastillage or gumpaste posts and ski lift carriage.

I'm not doing well with the multitude of tiny trees that are needed....

Any advice?

Fia in California

fia Posted 14 May 2006 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks Cailean!

The Sour Patch Kid idea for trees is just the right size!
The poured white chocolate ganache will certainly give the look that the covering was fallen from the sky (like snow)

I'm going to practice those ideas and techniques.

Your help is appreciated!

Fia

fia Posted 14 May 2006 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 9

Hey! Thanks to Pink Panther for finding a mountain cake picture. Yes, it's very helpful.

Thanks for your time and help in this matter.

Happy Baking,
Fia

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 May 2006 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 9

No need to carve, my friend!

Use the following:

1 cake baked in the Wonder Mold Pan (top width of cake is 8 inches)
1 9x3 or 9x4 inch
board and dowels in between the two.

Use your buttercream and fondant to create the texture on the surface. Attached is a photo of a volcano cake I did for my grand-nephew, from back when I started decorating cakes. All the texture is done with the spatula, in buttercream. I made long scallops all the way down the cake, then just ran the spatula over the bumps.

Very easy!

Theresa icon_smile.gif
LL

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 16 May 2006 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 9

Here is a skiier I did:
LL

fia Posted 17 May 2006 , 4:45am
post #9 of 9

Thanks to tmriga...I had no idea such a mold existed. I usually bake, torte, fill and carve. It takes forever. What a great volcano cake! My nephew loves volcanos...great inspiration.

All the best,
Fia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%