lilthorner Posted 12 May 2006 , 4:56pm
post #1 of

ok.. say for instance I charge $1 per serving (I know cheap.. im just trying to get an idea of someting)

I need to do a cake that will feed 75 people. I can do a full sheet that is supposed to feed what 96? or 108 or something like that. I know a half is too small.

Would I charge the customer based on the amount the cake CAN feed, or the amount that she ask me to feed?

I have been racking my brain on this one..

I called my local bakery (not grocery store) and they charge 89.00 for a full sheet and told me like 96 servings (just writing and flowers)

3 replies
JoAnnB Posted 12 May 2006 , 5:13pm
post #2 of

Most people have a fairly fixed cost for sheets and half sheets. It is generally based on the size of the cake, rather than a specific number of servings. If your only option is a full sheet, charge a fixed cost, $89 for example, rather than a per serving price. If the customer gets extra cake, they can cut bigger servings.

golfgirl1227 Posted 12 May 2006 , 6:07pm
post #3 of

I agree, fixed charges on sheet cakes (based on size and amount of decoration- add more for more detailed decorations).

However, for other cakes, if they say I need a cake for xx number of people then I tell them what size rounds or squares or whatever will get close to that serving and let them choose. Then I charge per serving for that number of servings. If you charge based on what they need and not what they get, they get free cake.

lilthorner Posted 12 May 2006 , 8:17pm
post #4 of

that makes total sense.. and that is what I was thinking before I started overthinking.. isnt it funny how we do that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%