Pricing Vs. Servings

Business By lilthorner Updated 12 May 2006 , 8:17pm by lilthorner

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 12 May 2006 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 4

ok.. say for instance I charge $1 per serving (I know cheap.. im just trying to get an idea of someting)

I need to do a cake that will feed 75 people. I can do a full sheet that is supposed to feed what 96? or 108 or something like that. I know a half is too small.

Would I charge the customer based on the amount the cake CAN feed, or the amount that she ask me to feed?

I have been racking my brain on this one..

I called my local bakery (not grocery store) and they charge 89.00 for a full sheet and told me like 96 servings (just writing and flowers)

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 12 May 2006 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 4

Most people have a fairly fixed cost for sheets and half sheets. It is generally based on the size of the cake, rather than a specific number of servings. If your only option is a full sheet, charge a fixed cost, $89 for example, rather than a per serving price. If the customer gets extra cake, they can cut bigger servings.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 12 May 2006 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 4

I agree, fixed charges on sheet cakes (based on size and amount of decoration- add more for more detailed decorations).

However, for other cakes, if they say I need a cake for xx number of people then I tell them what size rounds or squares or whatever will get close to that serving and let them choose. Then I charge per serving for that number of servings. If you charge based on what they need and not what they get, they get free cake.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 12 May 2006 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 4

that makes total sense.. and that is what I was thinking before I started overthinking.. isnt it funny how we do that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%