Help Pleeease...fondant Sagging And Getting Black Spots!!!

Decorating By astro Updated 12 May 2006 , 9:57pm by Omicake

astro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
astro Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 8

I did a trial run of my best friends wedding cake (6 inch layer) last night. Since I'm in the wedding cake set up is complicated and I need a way to prepare it the day before. I baked a carrot cake, crumb coated it with cream cheese icing and froze it. I removed it from the freezer, let it thaw (was still a little cold) then covered it with SatinIce. It looked awesome! This morning when I got up the fondant was sagging and there were tiny black dots in the fondant on the top of the cake. Please, please help! Can anyone tell me what went wrong? Has this happened to any of you?

7 replies
prettytoya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettytoya Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 8

Bump!

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 12 May 2006 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 8

How thin did you roll it? Did you put an adequate (kind of thick) layer of bc or some sort of frosting under the fondant?

I've never heard of fondant sagging. I can only think the dots were from the cake crumbs under the fondant.

astro Posted 12 May 2006 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 8

I rolled it pretty thin, about 1/4 inch. Is this too thin? I did have a layer of cream cheese icing underneath, but I think that is maybe what started to sag.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 May 2006 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 8

cream cheese frosting gets soft very easy and could lead to sagging.

when I do cream cheese frosting, I keep the cake in the frig to make sure it stays firm

as for spot..black?? hmmm....dust? dirt? mold? (here in NC, blink and mold grows!) tiny nats? ya' no those "no-see-ums" that are so prevalent?

(oh and HI from someone who grew up just down the road a bit in Danville!)

astro Posted 12 May 2006 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 8

Doug, thanks for the tip. So you can refrigerate the fondant too? You've used fondant over cream cheese before? I was worried about the mold thing to! I sealed it up in a cake carrier which probably didn't help my moisture problems!
Cool that you're from right around the corner...I would love to end up somewhere like NC someday!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 May 2006 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 8

yes, can put fondant in frig, but it has a tendency to get condensation on it when brought out.

I've tried covering dry fondant w/ paper towels before putting in fridge to act as barrier when brought out -- limited success.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 12 May 2006 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 8

Never have used cream cheese under the fondant. I always use BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%