How Do I Make A Lake Look Shiny?

Decorating By sammsuts Updated 6 May 2005 , 2:38pm by suzyqqq27

sammsuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammsuts Posted 5 May 2005 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! I am fairly new to this site, and I think it is amazing!
I have been asked to do a cake for my DH's co-worker's wife's 50th birthday. He would like me to decorate it like Mount Rundle in Banff, Alberta. He has supplied me with a photo (see attached), and I think it will be easy enough. I would like to make the lake at the foot of the mountain look realistic by making it appear shiny.
Any suggestions? Any other suggestions about ths type of cake is welcomed too! Thanks!
LL

6 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 5 May 2005 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 7

piping gel tinted the different shades of blue... you will find that alot if you look at water features on cakes on here, and elsewhere!

Sahmlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sahmlock Posted 5 May 2005 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 7

use piping gel thumbs_up.gif

Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 6 May 2005 , 5:31am
post #4 of 7

Another cool thing to try is poured sugar. Just make a mold out of foil and grease it. Then boil some water, sugar and maybe a little bit of corn syrup to prevent crystalization. Tint it blue and pour it into the mold, its something different.

suzyqqq27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqqq27 Posted 6 May 2005 , 5:33am
post #5 of 7

I use the piping gel...works great. I've included two pics where I used it.

I really like it,
Suzanne M.
LL
LL

sammsuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammsuts Posted 6 May 2005 , 12:29pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the tips! I will experiment with both piping gel and poured sugar to see how they turn out.

ssuzyqqq27, what a coincidence, I just did a golf cake very similar to the one you posted! I attached a pic! I love the way your pool cake looks, the water is so realistic.

**MODERATOR EDITED** (Attached image removed. Posting of images showing faces prohibited)

suzyqqq27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzyqqq27 Posted 6 May 2005 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 7

I can't see your golf cake.

Suzanne M.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%