Edible Glitter Secret Tips To Share?

Decorating By Cake4ever Updated 3 Aug 2013 , 5:52am by bubs1stbirthday

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 11 May 2006 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 13

Hi ladies,

I used the edible glitter last night for the first time. It gives a really neat effect. I'm wondering if you have any tips on using it. I used it last after I had decorated the cake and the buttercream crusted up, so it wasn't sticking as well. I did a baby shower cake with a rattle on top. The sides of the rattle is where I specifically wanted the glitter. That was kind of hard to do without getting it everywhere. I wound up having to press the glitter in. (I will post the cake in the gallery when I get a photo of it this morning.)

Also can you share some links to glitter you have used on your cakes? I'm curious where others have used it for a clever effect.

Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 11 May 2006 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 13

Were you using shimmer dust? You do need to add those to your buttercream decorations before they dry.
I love using luster dust. It works much better. I have also heard that pixie dust works very well. That is the next thing on my list.
You can get those at www.cakesbysam.com or www.countrykitchensa.com

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 11 May 2006 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 13

It's best to put it on before the frosting crusts.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 May 2006 , 2:07am
post #4 of 13

I know what you mean about the edible glitter--I love the effect, but you pretty much have to want it everywhere. It's pretty hard to concentrate it in one space because it's so light and fly-away. If you can't apply it before the icing crusts, you can use a very fine mister--a new, un-used refillable perfume spray bottle works great--and mist water on the specific area that you want the glitter. Let the area dry for just a minute or so and then sprinkle on the glitter. Also, if you want the glitter a bit finer, you can mash it down in the sprikle bottle using the handle of a spatula or wooden spoon.

As a side note, CK Products makes a humongous 4oz.container of edible glitter. I think I paid about $22 for it, but it's the equivalent of 16 of the small jars. You can find it at in several colors at:
http://www.icingmagic.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=29_30

Free Shipping, too!

Rae

Cake4ever Posted 12 May 2006 , 6:26am
post #5 of 13

Thanks so much for your replies. I will definitely add it when the cake is just frosted.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 12 May 2006 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 13

If you want it concentrated in a small area and not all over, I have put it into a plastic ziploc bag, the cut a tiny piece of the corner off, and use the little hole like a decorating tip- it is easier to get it into the area you want without it sprinkling everywhere else.
Kerri

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 12 May 2006 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 13

I love using the edible glitter. I just did a cake with roses all over the top and put some on the roses, they looked like sparkles of dew. It looked great. I also kinda crush them up first to make them smaller and more fine. I put them in a ziplock bag and roll my rolling pin over them then put them back in the bottle, they go further that way to. They are hard to see in a picture tho.

Cake4ever Posted 13 May 2006 , 7:07am
post #8 of 13

A-ha!! Very clever tips again! That is so true about crushing it up to go further. I was thinking after I had already applied it, that they were not uniformed, too many large & small chunks. Love the baggie idea! Exactly what I needed to get it just where I wanted. Although I think Rae is right that it's hard to keep it from blowing everywhere else. I think I will try some of the powders next.

Thank you all! thumbs_up.gif

kss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kss Posted 22 Jun 2006 , 5:01pm
post #9 of 13

Edible glitter is the bomb, its amazing what a little bit sparkle and shine will do to give a cake that "Finished" look. I always crush mine a bit, not bunches tho, I want it to show up. Cakes for close family and friends, I sprinkle the glitter in the palm of my hand, and use a straw to blow it where I want..I get pretty good control over it. I havent used the straw trick however on other cakes...Not sure how someone would feel about me breathing directly on the cake they paid for..

cakeshy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeshy Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 13

If you have to apply the glitter before the buttercream icing crusts, how do you perform the smoothing technique with parchment paper or viva paper towel?

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 9:49pm
post #11 of 13

I put the white edible glitter on a cake that had flowers on it with the basket weave. I was told that it looked like there was dew on the flowers and the person liked the effect it made.

You should be careful if using an edible image. If the glitter gets on it, it is very hard to get off. I've had a little success with a pastry brush to remove it but sometimes it is too hard to remove and can ruin the effect of the image.

All in all though I love the edible glitter.

noveen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noveen Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 1:58am
post #12 of 13

Hi,

I have to make a cake themed ocean with lots of glitter on it. Where can I find this glitter? If there is a name please let me know and does it dissolve? As in how long before do I have to put it on before delivering the cake?

Thanks

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 5:52am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri729 

If you want it concentrated in a small area and not all over, I have put it into a plastic ziploc bag, the cut a tiny piece of the corner off, and use the little hole like a decorating tip- it is easier to get it into the area you want without it sprinkling everywhere else.
Kerri

This gave me an idea - if you only wanted it on a small area (and if you're using icing that the plastic wont stick to you could cut a small hole into a piece of gladwrap - lay the gladwrap so that the hole is over what you want to dust then using the gladwrap to prevent everything getting glittered apply the glitter as you wish. I haven't actually tried and tested but that gave me the idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%