Best Butter Cream????

Decorating By MommyEdzards Updated 14 May 2006 , 5:02pm by LoriannaN

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 11 May 2006 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 10

I know this has been talked about before.... but, I want to know what everyones opinion is on the best buttercream recipe ever. What do you normally frost you cakes with?

9 replies
tsuitor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsuitor Posted 11 May 2006 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 10

I always make my buttercream with this recipe-
1/2 C Butter
1/3 C Shortening
3 C Powdered Sugar
2 tsp Milk
2 TBSP Light Corn Syrup

I love it!
Taresa

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 11 May 2006 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 10

Great question- I have been wandering too myself. All I know and like is the class vanilla buttercream but would like to experiment. I hope you find some great answers!!

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 12 May 2006 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 10

I always use Tami's Perfect Buttercream from the Baking 911 website. To me, it's not too sweet but not too greasy - even friends who normally don't like frosting like this one. And since you use heavy cream - I think it gives it an extra creamy texture. Even with the butter and real vanilla - mine comes out white. It also makes the YUMMIEST chocolate buttercream in the history of the world when you add some melted unsweetened chocolate. That makes a light colored chocolate so I add some Special Dark cocoa if I want it dark and oh my goodness - for chocholate lovers only!
I've also heard a lot about the Whimiscal Bakehouse buttercream but I don't have the book so I've never tried it. One of these days I will - it's just so expensive!

Melissa

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 12 May 2006 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 10

I don't use a single buttercream. I use Tami's Perfect a lot when I want a standard buttercream. I also use the Crusting Buttercream (Faux Fondant) recipe a bunch, which I need the crusting factor. When someone wants something fluffy, I used the Whipped Cream Buttercream (has no whipped cream in it!). All are found on this site's recipe section.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 12 May 2006 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 10

Toba Garrett's French vanilla BC...yummiest ever!!!

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 13 May 2006 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 10

Sounds like some good ones! I will have to experiment. Thanks for your input!

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 14 May 2006 , 4:39am
post #8 of 10

I use the 1/2 butter, 1/2 crisco recipe for my standard bc and the whimsical bakehouse house bc for my whipped. I prefer the latter.
Julie

morjewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morjewel Posted 14 May 2006 , 5:00am
post #9 of 10

I always use Toba Garrett's Swiss Meringue buttercream. You can add any flavouring to it. It's super easy and very tasty.

LoriannaN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriannaN Posted 14 May 2006 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 10

I always use buttercream to ice my cakes. I usually make a lot at a time.

1 cup butter, 1 cup shortening- cream it real good. i usually put it on speed 4 for about a minute and 6 for 2 or 3 minteus.. then start adding the powdered sugar. Put in about 4 cups or until its kinda thick.. then pour in about 1/4 cup of milk- Then add about 1/2 tbs of vanilla.. can add more to taste.. then gradually pour in 10-12 cups of powdered sugar.. It's best to pour like 2 cups at a time and let it mix good before pouring in the rest.
I usually let it just whip real good on speed 4 for a little while- til it's fluffy.

Take it off the mixer and fold it with the spatula.

It makes enough to cover a 2 layer quarter sheet plus decorations. It's light, it's fluffy, and it's the best ever! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%