Any Lefties??

Decorating By mimimil Updated 27 May 2005 , 5:40pm by mimimil

mimimil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimimil Posted 4 May 2005 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 32

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried the left handed tips from Wilton?? My instructor said I should invest in them. Although there was a lady in my course I class that said they didn;t work...help please!

Mimi

31 replies
southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 5 May 2005 , 12:09am
post #2 of 32

I too have wondered about this. I am going to be helping a friend with her roses this weekend and she is a leftie. Except for her, I have never worked with a leftie and I am not a lot of help to her.

Her instructor had not even told her that left-handed tips existed.

If someone gives them a thumbs-up, I am going to pick her up a set.

Thanks,

Amy

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 5 May 2005 , 2:51am
post #3 of 32

My sister tcrema is a lefty... I don't think she saw this post or she probably would have posted. She has a hard time doing the rope border because of her being a lefty. She's a great decorator... you could PM her.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 5 May 2005 , 3:11am
post #4 of 32

Yeppers..I'm a lefty!! I've tried a couple of the tips for lefties but didn't really notice any difference. Might be because I was taught using the regular tips and just agot use to using them!

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 5 May 2005 , 3:25am
post #5 of 32

I am a lefty also. I didn't even know that there were left handed tips. I have not had too hard of a time with the regular tips. I did have a heck of a time learning the roses, until I took wilton course 1 and the instructor showed me the correct way to do it left handed.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 5 May 2005 , 4:04am
post #6 of 32

what an intresting topic!!! yep...i'm a lefty! my instructor teaches the rest of the class and tells me not to listen, then she teaches me the lefty way. i havent tried the lefty tips.....i learned on the reg. ones so its probably too late for me to relearn, haha
i do think it will be a challenge to teach your friend....it was a challange for my right handed friends to teach me...you might want to pick up the wilton course books..i got one at hobby lobby for under $5.00 and it shows you how to hold the bag and tip for left and right handed people.
good luck!
melody

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 5 May 2005 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 32

I'm a lefty, too. I bought the tips and haven't had much luck with them.

I think, with me, it's more because of not knowing HOW to make the drop flowers, etc., with them. When I was taught right-handed--I could never do them. Mostly because it was backwards for me. So, as a result, I don't do the flowers, etc., that you use these tips for.

I need to play with them some more. I figure that for $5 for all of them, it's worth it.

Lisa

mimimil Posted 5 May 2005 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 32

Thank you ladies! I was just wondering if there was a difference...I am the only lefty in my class so my instructor spends a little more time w/me. She said that the new class books are way better and have great instructions for lefties. The left-handed tips are new, the package has a violet border...i believe 3 come in a package...

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 5 May 2005 , 3:45pm
post #9 of 32

I am a leftie too! And the only thing I have ever really noticed was out of all the things I do ...drop flowers and some simple twisting things are difficult for me. And I never heard of the left handed tips either. I truly havent practiced flowers alot ( shame on me) but have started, I think i'll just deal wth the regular ones, as i am somewhat ambidexterous

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 5 May 2005 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 32

Hi I am a lefty, and am very happy with the lefty tips that Wilton now carries. Tip 59 is used in Course 2 for making the violet is a tip that is now a lefty tip. Before I could not make the violet in the same way I had to used a 101 because of the curve of the tip. Lefties turn the nail in clockwise and righties turn the nail counter clockwise, so the curve of the tip is going the wrong way and you cannot form the flower. Another tip is 97 which is bent for a righty when making the Victorian Rose, a lefty cannot used the tip that comes in the course 2 kit. Now Wilton makes a a new tip for lefties that they sell at Michaels . They sell it in a strip of 3 tips and then there is another group of lefties tips that they sell. I think this is fantastic for lefties to be able to form the flowers as they were intended and I think I can speak for some of the Wilton Lefty Instructors besides myself who are very happy that Wilton has now designed these tips. Hope that was helpful. ( I know a lot of lefties have probably figured out different ways to adjust for the righty tips, as we have made adjustments in other "righty situations" but I think it is really nice to have these new tips available.
Hope that was helpful

mimimil Posted 5 May 2005 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 32

Hi Cupcakes,

Thanks for the great "tips" icon_smile.gif My roses don't always come out that great...and the instructor I had was a newbie so she didn;t really help me out very much...my course II instructor is cool! She spends a little more time w/me so that I can do things the way they are supposed to be done.

Cupcakes, is it ok if I pm you should I have anymore "lefty" questions/problems??

Have a nice evening,
mimimil

cupcakes Posted 6 May 2005 , 2:22am
post #12 of 32

Hi Mimimil, I would love to help you with any "lefty problems" you might have questions about.You should always try and get the seat across from your righty instructor, that way it will look to you like she is a lefty. Maybe that will help a little bit. Send me your email and I will be happy to get in touch with you if you need any help in the future. I know that everything will work out great!

mimimil Posted 6 May 2005 , 3:08pm
post #13 of 32

Hi Cupcakes,

Thanks SO much! I was just pm'ing tcrema that my roses come out a bit tight at times...my email address is:
[email protected]

I love this place! Everyone is always happy to help... icon_smile.gif

Thanks again,
Mimimil

allaboutoccasions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutoccasions Posted 8 May 2005 , 10:35am
post #14 of 32

I'm a lefty and never even thought about it being differant for us that's why I have problems some times, thought it was just me not doing it right on some things

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 8 May 2005 , 4:15pm
post #15 of 32

im left handed. my mom thought it would be great and bought me 2 tips. i havent even used them..

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 8 May 2005 , 5:01pm
post #16 of 32

icon_smile.gif Hi There... I am left handed. I bought the left handed tips and have been using them. They are great for me esp. when I am doing my roses. It seems I can make the flower part of the rose curl more with ease. And I find that I am able to control the bag more with my left hand. But I still the right for those odd areas I have to get to on the cakes.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 9 May 2005 , 10:28am
post #17 of 32

I am also a lefty and have tried the 59 and 97 left handed tip and I personally didn't care for themthe reg. tips works great for me and I make really good flowers all except I can not make drop flowers no matter how much I try! I take that back I can make the 2D tip but none of the other drop flowers tips like 124 and so on.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 9 May 2005 , 10:30am
post #18 of 32

I wanted to add for the rope I also have a time with it too but I start with and s then the rest are C's the end result is a rope!

cupcakes Posted 9 May 2005 , 11:26am
post #19 of 32

For the rope border, a lefty makes a sideways s going in the opposite direction. If you have the sheets from course 2 in the practice board you will see there is a directions to makes the sideways s for the lefty and the righty. It is a simple as that and as long as you makes the sideways s in the porper direction there is nothing else different about it for a lefty and a righty.

mimimil Posted 9 May 2005 , 2:57pm
post #20 of 32

Hi Everyone,

I have my course II class tomorrow, I can;t wait to try my new "tips" from Cupcakes...Thank you very much for the wonderful info.

Mimimil

cupcakes Posted 9 May 2005 , 3:32pm
post #21 of 32

Hi Mimimil, let us know how you do with your course 2. I know you are going to have a lot of fun!

mimimil Posted 11 May 2005 , 8:25pm
post #22 of 32

HI everyone

I love the left handed tips! they work great! I had tons of fun in my class last night... the small investment was well worth it to me.

Mimi

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 11 May 2005 , 8:53pm
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimil

HI everyone

I love the left handed tips! they work great! I had tons of fun in my class last night... the small investment was well worth it to me.

Mimi

Hurray! icon_biggrin.gif Glad to hear that it worked!

cupcakes Posted 12 May 2005 , 11:28am
post #24 of 32

I Mimi, I am so glad you enjoyed your class! When you do the basketweave on the class for the final week,the righties will follow the practice board and basketweave moving to the right and going around the cake as is shown on the practice board, all you have to do is basketweave going around the cake going to the left. It will make sense to you as you practice. The basic thing to remember is that when a lefty is doing the basketweave it will feel correct to move in this direction. I know it will come out beautiful. I think for a lefty ,course 2 will be where you see a few more challenges but with the correct tips in hand and a correct direction around the cake, all will feel "right" to you.Keep us posted, and if I can be of any help to you please let me know.

mimimil Posted 12 May 2005 , 3:14pm
post #25 of 32

Hi everyone,

I must say that I was very pleased w/my work in class on Tues. Cupcakes thanks for being my guide. While I was in class I was thinking of how you told me to sit across from the instructor. That helped a lot!

Thank you everyone for such great support.

Mimi

cupcakes Posted 22 May 2005 , 1:03am
post #26 of 32

Hi Mimi
Let us know how your final cake came out for Course 2. Keep in mind you will basketweave towards the left and the righties will go towards the right. It will make sense to you when you start. Have a lot of fun!

jg556a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jg556a Posted 22 May 2005 , 2:01pm
post #27 of 32

I 2 am a lefty, only some of the tips come lefty. Not too many that i have found, but i do like them. I have found that if you sit opposite from the person teaching you it is extremely helpful, that is how i learned from the wilton courses. Good luck!!

cupcakes Posted 22 May 2005 , 4:47pm
post #28 of 32

You are right. There are only a few lefty tips. All other tips are fine used by lefties or righties. an example of a tip we might need would be When a tip is angeled out such as 59 or 97 then a lefty runs into trouble because a lefty spins the nail clockwise and a righty counter clockwise. We lefties are very adaptable! but it sure is great that Wilton recognized and fulfilled the need for these tips which lefties might enjoy using!

junebuggey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junebuggey Posted 24 May 2005 , 2:27pm
post #29 of 32

Well, I am a lefty and an instructor. I truly love the difference the left tips make in the violets and the victorian roses. 101 never got as pretty a flower.

Just on satisfied customer and teacher.

junebuggey thumbs_up.gif

mimimil Posted 24 May 2005 , 11:15pm
post #30 of 32

HI all,

I love the tips! There are only about 5 (i think) but they are well worth it. I have my last course II class tonight. Cupcakes I wil keep in mind what you have told me. I had a bit of a hard time making daisies...of all the flowers in course II the daisy was a bit hard for me...i kept wanting it to poof up a bit...

Thanks,
Mimi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%