Air Force 60Th Celebration Cake Ideas For 1000 People? Help!

Decorating By friedgreencats Updated 1 May 2007 , 10:31pm by rlsaxe

friedgreencats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
friedgreencats Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 15

I have been asked to make a celebration cake and/or cakes for the Air Force's 60 th anniversary ball! This is an elaborate event and will have around 1000 people in attendance. I have some ideas of my own but am a bit overwhelmed. Anyone what to share thoughts or ideas?? Help!!
Brandi

14 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 15

okay first of all.........I'm so overwhelmed for you!!!! Wow that's a lot of cake......okay, so you're looking at like 10 sheet cakes right??? yikes.....okay......do you want them all the same??? All different??? some ideas might be the air force emblem thingy on one sheet cake, maybe a 3 D air force hat on another?......um......air planes are nice.....actually wouldn't be too bad to do a fbct of a plane, and the emblem, .........um I'll let you know if I think of any more! man that's a lot of cake!!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 15

re: emblem --- this may help.
LL

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 15

fried green cats I will try to upload a photo of a cake I just did for my daughters air force military ball I used an edible image of the air force logo and it turned out really nice . Also they have a edible image of the flag waving with an eagle in it and just the american flag at countrykitchensa.com you can get some really nice sugar eagles they are really nice looking on a cake and they have some other patriotic sugar decorations too , you can do this you also could do some red white and blue fondant draped on a cake with cutout stars hey good luck and please post the photos when you can I know you are gonna be tired after making that much cake but you can pull it off . Congrats on getting a cake order that large. icon_smile.gif I will try to post the photo sometime tonight having trouble with camera so maybe I can get it to post.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 12:33am
post #5 of 15

two ideas:

the background on the sketch would be an American flag.

could make the jets on either as free standing cakes raised on supports to give illusion of flying.

(and note in the picture composite the Air Force logo around the eagle's neck)

HTH
LL
LL

Aimeestrange Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimeestrange Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:51am
post #6 of 15

I don't have any good ideas, but I most certainly wish you LOTS of luck!!

friedgreencats Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 15

Thank you so much for all the wonderful ideas and support. I had in mind to do 4 large sheet cakes iced to gether to form one....with the Air Force 60th Anniverdary logo in the middle , but was unsure as to what to add onto that. I really like the idea of the jets...and the eagle sketch gave me new ideas too. To make up fpr the rest of the cakes, I thought of doing two tiered stands of 3 or 4 cakes on either side of the sheet cake. They would be iced in bright white with different military images on top and maybe some blue/red gumpaste stars shooting out of the top tier? This will all be happening in September so I have plenty of time to think it over. I have never done anything larger than a 300 party wedding cake so this is massive for me...but I am trying to get an at-home business off the ground, so this would be a perfect way for me to showcase my ability. Anymore pictures and or ideas would be wondeful...thanks again!
Brandi

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 15

well first of all: WOW - 1000 people. that's a LOT of cake! I can just see all the orders you're going to get out of that one.
Ok well the airforce website has a few links to the 60th celebration- I'm including this one flag, i think it looks pretty.
I guess creatively, your options are to do one or two gigantic cakes (as you said, stick a few sheet cakes together). or make 10 cakes in different shapes to puzzle together like Doug's drawing (like to create one gigantic emblem/logo), or make all of the cakes differently to represent different things about the airforce.
There are a ton of art pages on the airforce website specifically under the 60th celebration but also in general.
http://www.af.mil/art/index.asp?galleryID=1617 if you do 10 or so satellite cakes, you could recreate these emblems on each of them perhaps? On that big pic- that might be pretty -FBCT maybe or some other kind of transfer. And then have the words written on a big board (well probably a few put together lol) laid out in the same way as on that pic,
ok or this big flag somehow. What a challenge, but and yet, so many possibilities to get super creative with! I sort of am partial to the idea of using the large number of cakes needed to make a big 'scene' instead of just having random things or themes on each cake. I think that will also make it not so overwhelming maybe?
LL

friedgreencats Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 15

Thankyou so much for your help...yes I had found a small picture of that logo, but this one is so much better. You all have really got my wheels turning now with different options and set up. Keep the great ideas coming!

oceanspitfire Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 7:21pm
post #10 of 15

or the round part of that air force flag I posted could be one giant cake, probably about 9 square cakes put together into a square shape andthen carved to be one giant circle. And then decorate as per the logo, plus maybe for some 3D action, make some fondant /MMF air force planes and have them in the air held up by wire or whatever you use lol

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 1 May 2007 , 3:39pm
post #11 of 15

I think Military balls tend to be very classy events including receiving lines and lots of special things. This would be more formal than most weddings. I think a large tiered cake would be wonderful with simple sheet cakes in the back would be nice. I would try to picture a wedding cake and decorate on a very simple but classy scale. Maybe add a few colors, but I would keep it very simple. I would not add a lot of different ideas to this cake.

friedgreencats Posted 1 May 2007 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 15

Yes, I think I will keep it a bit classy...I am picturing the satellite cakes as being simple...white with swags/ribbon and maybe a few simple flowers, but I think they want a cake with the anniversary logo on it too (as a centerpiece). Thanks for the suggestions...keep em coming!

oceanspitfire Posted 1 May 2007 , 8:39pm
post #13 of 15

I was just looking at cakes for something else and I noticed this one http://www.custommadecake.com/cake4.htm - gave me the idea maybe to suggest for your satellite cakes or even around the main one with the logo if you go that route, to make blue and red/white ribbons like on this gorgeous cake with red blue and white roses, not big or many obviuosly, that would be too obtrusive and garish lol

friedgreencats Posted 1 May 2007 , 8:47pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks oceanspitfire! Very much like what I had envisioned...simple and elegant, but with a bit of the patriotic colors...your the best! Thanks so much for all your help!

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 1 May 2007 , 10:31pm
post #15 of 15

yrs Military balls are very formal events. I miss the days when I was in the Marine Corps and would attend so many MC balls.
Amyway....my vite is for the Thunderbirds above the eagle and flag. Love that one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%