Shortening With No Trans Fats

Decorating By Darstus Updated 7 May 2005 , 2:54am by Darstus

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 4 May 2005 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 8

Hello to all. I was wondering if anyone had experience with using a new shortening that contains no trans fat when making their buttercream? This would be substitued for Crisco. I think the product that has been seen is called Spectum. would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

7 replies
luceymoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luceymoose Posted 4 May 2005 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 8

I think that Crisco makes a no trans fat shortening too. I don't think that theree would be much difference except that your frosting may be a little softer

ump107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ump107 Posted 5 May 2005 , 3:24am
post #3 of 8

Try this link Spectrum Natruals (bottom of page) I use this shortening all the time because it is Soy free, Its also Trans Fat Free. You can find it at health food stores and they have a section on the site to search suppliers.

blueskies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueskies Posted 6 May 2005 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 8

I use the Crisco no trans fat shortening for my frosting and have seen no difference from the regular Crisco. It is more expensive but makes me feel like the frosting is a little less bad for me so I can eat more! icon_smile.gif

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 6 May 2005 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 8

Do you guys get the Crisco no trans fat shortening at regular grocery stores or health food stores? I don't recall ever seeing it.

Thanks,

Amy

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 6 May 2005 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 8

I've seen it at my local grocery store. The Crisco brand comes in a green tub. The tubs are much smaller though.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 6 May 2005 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you Lisa! I will look for it this weekend.

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 7 May 2005 , 2:54am
post #8 of 8

Thanks to all for your input!! icon_smile.gif I will relay this to my students!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%