Request For A Golf Cake!!!

Decorating By chel Updated 10 May 2005 , 2:49am by littlebubbieschocolates

chel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chel Posted 4 May 2005 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 9

I am a newbie and I have no idea where to begin. I have a request for a golf cake in 2 weeks. I have seen a few in the Gallery, but nothing has really caught my eye...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 4 May 2005 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 9

I have to do one too as a groom's cake...I am planning on making just a round cake for the base, and then use the Wilton Ball pan to make the golf ball...set it up on top of the round, maybe pipe grass around the base of it, and fashion a club out of fondant to prop again it. Does that give you a visual...I can see it in my head, but not sure how it will turn out.
Good luck. icon_smile.gif

chel Posted 4 May 2005 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 9

I just thought about using a sports ball, but I like the idea of the cake with the grass, I think I will go for that. I wish I could try the fondant thing..but I have not work with fondant much and scared I may mess it all up.....Thanks ...great idea icon_biggrin.gif

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 4 May 2005 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 9

Go to www.cakesbysam.com, click cake galleries, then grooms cakes. There are 2 great pics of golf bag cakes to look at. I actually made one based on the "standing up" golf bag in her lower right corner for my son's grooms cake, using his favorite college team as the decor for the golf bag. I star tipped a lot of it, didn't use fondant, used toy golf clubs and real gof balls and tees. Used 10" rounds, 5 or 6 of them. Good Luck!

Elvira_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elvira_one Posted 5 May 2005 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 9

I have an idea but it may seem a little out there. So please bear with me. icon_surprised.gif
I was thinking if you started with a sheet cake (does not have to be a big one I was thinking 11X13) and if you took and colored some coconut green to look like grass for the first step. Then you could take a small oven proof bowl and bake another cake inside there and make little holes in it. You could use a tomato scoop or small melonballer to make the little bumps on the ball. Make a black hole a little bigger then your small round cake and place the half ball inside covered with white (so it looks like a ball going into a golf hole. ) then with a another small cake square one like a 8x8 you could cut the cake in half then in quarters, the cut it to look like a wood (golf club ) with the rest of the 8x8 cake (there will be half left) and a wooden dowel you could cut out circles with a cookie cutter and add them to the top of the wood piece to make a putter so it. So it looks like someone sinking the ball in the hole. It is just a thought. I know you are a newbie but dont let urself get too freaked out thinking it. You can do this jump in with both feet and you will be amazed at what you can do. thumbs_up.gif

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 5 May 2005 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 9

I did that exact idea, here it is, it was simple and pretty fast, did a 1/2 round on a 9 inch square, I thought the candle on the tees was a nice touch. I used the rounded end of a pen dipped in cornstarch to make the dimples.
LL

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 5 May 2005 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 9

Awesome cake gilpnh.. very cute idea too.. quick and shouldn't be too hard to do... great job!

chel Posted 6 May 2005 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 9

Nice cake....I like that!!!

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 10 May 2005 , 2:49am
post #9 of 9

wilton has sum really cute ideas

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%