Cake Boards

Decorating By admcf Updated 10 May 2006 , 10:33pm by Samsgranny

admcf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
admcf Posted 10 May 2006 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 7

What cake boards do you use for full size cakes? I haven't made a full size cake but was thinking if I combine 2 of my 11X15 that would make a full size? Then I started thinking I've never seen cake boards that big. Any ideas and can you combine 2 of the cakes to make a full size. I would be afraid to move it!

6 replies
kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 10 May 2006 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 7

they make full sheet boards. If you have a Michael's or a Hobby Lobby check there first. A lot of times you can go to the bakery of your local grocery store and buy a full sheet board and box. A full sheet board would be about 24x18

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 10 May 2006 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 7

When you get them from the store bakery, are they free or how much are they?

mariamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariamom Posted 10 May 2006 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 7

If you could make sure you could get it back, you could cut one out of thin plywood or MDF. I have one that's for a 1/2 sheet and love it!!

kdhoffert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdhoffert Posted 10 May 2006 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 7

It varies. I would say the average of about $3-$5 depending on where you live, some places may be cheaper.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 10 May 2006 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 7

I make my own cake boards after realizing how much money I spent on them. I'm lucky enough to have access to large cardboard boxes and just trace the cake pan upside down then cut it with a sharp edge knife. If I need it to be sturdy for a heavy cake, I just combine several of them glued together, then cover with contact paper.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 10 May 2006 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 7

Just be careful when you buy the boards from the bakery that they are the same size as your cake pan. I remember reading a post that the sizes the bakery uses (industry standard) are different that the ones used by "hobby" bakers. Just a thought and best of luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%