Making Lemon Flavored Mmf

Decorating By PeaceOfCake Updated 11 May 2006 , 2:58pm by PeaceOfCake

PeaceOfCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeaceOfCake Posted 10 May 2006 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 11

HI,
I'm wanting to make lemon flavored MMF. I have lemon extract and I had read somewhere that you can substitute the extract for the water in the recipe. I'm wondering if I can do this with lemon or if the taste will be too overwhelming? I was planning on just experimenting, but then I thought - why not just ask at CC? Then i won't risk ruining the batch....

Thanks!

10 replies
manyacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manyacakes Posted 10 May 2006 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 11

i remember reading about this on another post somewhere yesterday. i can't remember if it was bc or mmf. but i think the concensus was that you could and another person said that it works great and that i think the flavor of the lemon intensifies after a day or so.

i have been wanting to try lemon mmf also.

manya

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 10 May 2006 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 11

I have done that same thing....tastes incredible (if you love lemon). I LOVED it. I normally hate the taste of mmf

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 10 May 2006 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 11

On the home page, there is a link for "how to make and decorate with MMF". That recipe calls for, like 2 tbsp water and 2 tsp flavoring; I'm sure you can substitute the lemon in that.

spottydog Posted 10 May 2006 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 11

I can't wait to try it with Raspberry extract. Mmm

spottydog Posted 10 May 2006 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 11

Yeah I just subbed the water.....or switched the flavor to whatver extract you want.

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 10 May 2006 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 11

I have a blueberry extract that I want to try in the MMF. icon_biggrin.gif

Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 11 May 2006 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 11

I added lemon to th elast batch of MMF I made instead of the vanilla (put the water in as well) and it turned out very nice. BUT (big but here), I think there was a citric acid reaction between the lemon in the MMF and the color I mixed in. I was making black fondant and had much of it turn a weird shade of irridescent green/black after it dried. Even after I sprayed it with my airbrush black, it still stayed that funny black. I didn't try it with another color as I used most of the batch for the black, but I say watch out what you add to the MMF. I've added orange and almond to it before and think the almond turns out the best.

quills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quills Posted 11 May 2006 , 12:44pm
post #9 of 11

I added lemon flavoring (either oil or extract, I can't remember) after the fact. Made normal MMF, then kneaded in the lemon & probably some extra conf. sugar, too. It was really yummy.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 May 2006 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 11

I've just made a batch of lemon mmf, using 4 tsp of pure lemon juice and 2 tsp lemon flavouring. It tastes great and the lemon juice really cuts the sweetness of the MMf, but it did mix up a creamy colour and not white icon_confused.gif . I wouldn't have thought the lemon juice was yellow enough to do that to it (the flavouring was clear)! I rectified it with a drop of violet colouring and now it's white, but it's worth mentioning!

PeaceOfCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeaceOfCake Posted 11 May 2006 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you all so much for your input! I will try a batch this weekend for my Mother's Day cake. Now I can do it without worries!

You guys are the best!

PeaceofCake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%