Wilton Instructors

Business By brey1180 Updated 13 May 2006 , 7:35pm by naotter

brey1180 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brey1180 Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 10

i had some questions on becoming a wilton instructor. I dont know if you guys know but dO you have to have taken a wilton class to be an instructor? How much do they pay? Is it very time consuming? Just curious.

9 replies
TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 10

Yes, they want their instructors to take the classes.. You need to learn about the Wilton method. I taught awhile ago and it was based on the number of students. Maybe some recent instructors can help in that dept. You can contact Wilton online to let them know your interested.

CakesWithAttitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesWithAttitude Posted 10 May 2006 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 10

you must complete all 3 courses; then send an application online at wilton.com. you make your own hours. you need to teach all 3 courses in a month. so you would have 6 hours a week. Pay depends on where you work and how many students. For michaels and hobby lobby the pay is almost the same. 4 student minimum is $120 for the course. so that is 120 for 8 total hours. if you maintain 15 students it is 225; that is about $30 an hour

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 10 May 2006 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 10

I have been teaching the Wilton Method for over 10 yrs. and yes they want you to teach the Wilton way. They try to teach to the beginner someone who has never even tried to hold a decorating bag. I do it because I enjoy teaching the class. Pay depends on where you teach, we have Micheals, JoAnns and AC Moore here. Most require at least 4 per class, Micheals will let you teach only 1. I teach at AC Moore and I need 4 but they have aproved classes with 3 students. The base pay for my classes is $120.00 up to 6 students and goes up from there. I also teach at an independant store and I get to decide what the fee is for the stutends.
If you have not taken the Wilton course and are picked to teach make sure you go to the seminars, they are for the instructors and you get alot of updated instruction. It is a 3 day class to learn all 3 courses that Wilton offers, along with teaching and soft selling technices. It is a lot of fun and you receive a lot merchandise for your $30.00 ( which is all you pay for the class, if it is not close to you you have to pay for your room, breakfast and dinner)
If you are interested go to the Wilton web site they can help you.

brey1180 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brey1180 Posted 10 May 2006 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 10

thank you so much for all the info. I did a search on the topic and got lots of info. i always think of that after i have posted my question!

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 10 May 2006 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 10

brey1180, I just finished the seminar and two of the trainers are from Texas, I know there are a lot of instructors in TX. try to find one and they would be very helpful I am sure.

jennifer293 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer293 Posted 12 May 2006 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 10

Wilton must be getting desperate for instructors then because when I took Course 1 my instructor had just completed Course 1 a few weeks before and she was teaching at Hobby Lobby. She had plans to take Course 2 and 3 but she never did. She told me after I completed Course 1 that I could teach if I wanted to, but I feel like I am still very inexperienced so there is no way I would try to teach anyone... icon_surprised.gif

CakesWithAttitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesWithAttitude Posted 12 May 2006 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 10

Well that is strange; I wonder if she did something somehow. Wilton made it very clear that students must complete all 3 courses to be a teacher. They track every student with their tracking forms so they will know how far people go; and if they don't finish all 3 they don't let them teach. They wanted to make sure I had taken my course 3 before considering me. And I couldn't even apply until I was in course 3. So I am not sure how some are doing it. I teach at Hobby Lobby and those are the requirements for them as well as any is what Wilton told me.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 13 May 2006 , 7:26pm
post #9 of 10

I just filled out the application online. How long does it normally take to get a response?

naotter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naotter Posted 13 May 2006 , 7:35pm
post #10 of 10

I just became a Wilton Instructor this past month. I have been decorating cakes for close to 20 years for families & friends. I took the class a long time ago, but had my interest renewed this past year when I took a chocolate course. So, I enrolled in Course to to get some refreshing on the flowers. I found out about the instructors, and applied to become one. They mentioned to me that though they perfer their instructors to complete all 3 courses, if I can do a sample of a cake from course 3 I might not need it. So that is what I did - and I got it. They do however want me to sit in on a course 3 before I teach it to ensure I am teaching the wilton method way - that's it.

In the long run - I guess I am saying - as long as you sit in on a class before you teach it - there should not be a problem.

Hope that helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%