Pouring Isomalt

Sugar Work By Crimsicle Updated 31 May 2006 , 6:53am by skylightsky

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 10 May 2006 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 4

I need some poured sugar molded items for a special cake I'm putting together. I have zero experience in sugar, but figured I could at least do this. I want to use isomalt for a variety of reasons. Can I just use a recipe for pulled isomalt? Would the poured stuff be taken to the same temp?

Also...what should I use to color it? Some directions on the web said to use "liquid food color from the supermarket" but I didn't know if that was just because the writer assumed the reader wouldn't have access to other coloring agents. Do paste colors work? I have Wilton and Americolor. I also have some powdered color. And a little bit of liquid color for airbrush.

If poured isomalt takes a special recipe/techniques all its own, I'd be ever so grateful if anyone could share here.

Thanks!

3 replies
SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 4

Hi
There are no special techniques for Isomalt per say. The only difference is that your boiling temp will be slightly higher. The last batch I did of isomalt I boiled it to about 330F. Since your using this for a poured sugar mold you don't need an acid. Just boil it to 330 remove from heat, put pan in a sink of cold water for a few seconds till the bubbles subside, remove wipe bottom and sides of pan clean and pour away. DO NOT LET THE WATER GET INTO YOUR MIXTURE!!!

As far as coloring you can use liquid food coloring, powdered colors will give you a more intense color saturation and will be brighter. If you use liquid colors put them in about 280F and continue to cook to 330F.

I am not a big fan of isomalt really because of the price.Less hassle than regular granulated because of its high resistance to moisture. But for the difference I would use regular granulated. Do you have the isomalt on hand? Or will you be ordering it? If you need a link to a supplier here is one that may help www.pastrywiz.com

If I can be of further assistance feel free to pm me or place another post.On a further note, poured and pulled sugar are not the same technique wise, cooking wise they are. If you plan to pull your sugar there is some more things you would need to know and purchase.

Regards Sugarcreations..

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 10 May 2006 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the info! I'm ordering isomalt - it's on its way. Cost isn't important to me. This will be such a tiny amount, but I really wanted it to look jewel-like and I'd been told you get clearer results with isomalt. Plus, I live in a fairly humid area, and I didn't want the things to get sticky. Knowing my honoree, she'll put the thing up on a shelf in her living room! LOL!

I'm not really interested in doing pulled sugar. I'm still trying to master simple cake decorating! There's just no way I could get the result I wanted on this particular cake without pouring some molds. So....

I appreciate the help!

skylightsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skylightsky Posted 31 May 2006 , 6:53am
post #4 of 4

How 'bout them Tigers?

Hi there, how did your project in the pulled sugar go?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%