tabs Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:19pm
post #1 of

Anyone familiar with her techniques? All of her icing recipes use the method where you boil the water and sugar, then pour it into a glass container to stop the cooking. I tried a recipe the other day and it was a total disaster. I cooked it to the appropriate tempeture the reciped called for but once I put the sugar mixture in the glass, it just got completely hard, hence ruining my icing. I guess I overcooked the mix? I don't know. I followed the directions exactly (or so I thought). icon_sad.gif

What did I do wrong? Anybody have any insight?

12 replies
Ladycake Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:22pm
post #2 of

I dont know anything about this but the first thing that came to my mind when reading this post was your glass cold?? that would make it get hard..

I also know that boiled icings have to do with the weather in your area and the humity too..

diane Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:43pm
post #3 of

never even heard of her or her method??? icon_confused.gif was it any good??

tabs Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:47pm
post #4 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

never even heard of her or her method??? icon_confused.gif was it any good??

Well I don't know, the icing didn't get made :p I got the recipe from this book:

www.thecakebible.com

diane Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:55pm
post #5 of

oooh, i've been wanting to get that book icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif ...is it any good???

Mchelle Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:55pm
post #6 of

Is this recipe similiar to the one that you used

http://www.baking911.com/recipes/cakes/frosting_meringue_buttercream.htm

Try one of their recipes, maybe you were missing some directions?

llj68 Posted 4 May 2005 , 7:20pm
post #7 of

I have that book and LOVE it! I have also looked at that recipe--but I'm too chicken to try it yet.

However, that being said, I talked to my sister about the exact thing that you experienced. The only conclusion we could come up with was that you cooked the sugar to the "hard crack" or "soft crack" stage and when it hit the cold glass--it hardened.

When ever I have made caramels or simple syrups in the past--I have always left it in the pot I made it in and put the entire pot into a cold-water bath and stired the sugar vigorously until the cooking process stopped.

I have been nervous about trying the recipe because of incorporating it into the icing mixture itself. If you don't do it right--I can see how you would get spun sugar or hard candy pieces in your icing.

I'll let you know if I ever get brave enough to try them!!

Lisa

thecakemaker Posted 4 May 2005 , 7:35pm
post #8 of

Be careful pouring hot liquid into a cold glass too - it can crack or shatter the glass!

luceymoose Posted 4 May 2005 , 7:45pm
post #9 of

If you use pyrex glass or oven proof glass, it shouldn't break

thecakemaker Posted 4 May 2005 , 7:56pm

It shouldn't ~ but ~ tell that to my mother in law! it happened to her!

just be careful that's all...

tcturtleshell Posted 5 May 2005 , 3:36am

I'm confused... icon_surprised.gif

Is this a simple syrup (I call it sugar syrup) your making or is it icing? That's were I'm confused. If it's sugar syrup then you have to stir it like llj68 said. Explain what you are refering to please, thanks~

llj68 Posted 5 May 2005 , 12:46pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcturtleshell

I'm confused... icon_surprised.gif

Is this a simple syrup (I call it sugar syrup) your making or is it icing? That's were I'm confused. If it's sugar syrup then you have to stir it like ll68 said. Explain what you are refering to please, thanks~

I have the book she's referring too, and I believe the recipe she's trying to make is Classic Buttercream. It calls for sugar and water, boiled together, until the soft ball stage (238 F). Then you transfer it to a greased, glass measure to stop the cooking. I believe that's where the problem was that it turned hard when she put it into the measuring cup. Probably was too hot when the cooking was stopped. Just a couple of degrees, either way, can make a difference.

Personally, I have used the Neoclassic Buttercream recipe which calls for corn syrup and sugar instead of water and sugar--supposedly it's easier. I didn't find it to be as easy as other bc icings and thought the effort wasn't really worth the result.

All this being said, I now use Cali4dawn's bc icing recipe exclusively. It's WAY easier and tastes awesome!!

Lisa

cakegal Posted 5 May 2005 , 1:39pm

I used dawns bc icing the other day to do a cake.... I didn't like the taste at first .....but after the cake was done...and sat for a day...I can't tell you enough how good that icing tastes...LOL....
Oh...I used the cake extender recipie for a classic white sour creme cake...I added almond extract and vanilla to it also......NOW, the problem is.... I can't really taste the cake... icon_sad.gif .... Just dawn's bc icing...lol... any tips here would be helpful...
cakegal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%