Writing On A Cake So That It Looks Flush With The Icing

Decorating By Mchelle Updated 8 May 2005 , 4:07am by Lisa

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 18

I was wondering how to write on a cake so that the icing looks flush with the cake (not raised like that buttercream writing). I tried it, but it didn't work well. Does anyone have any pointers, beside edible image?

17 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 May 2005 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 18

you could do it when you do a bct.

Mchelle Posted 4 May 2005 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 18

with the bct it will be sitting on top of the icing, not blending in with the icing, right? Am I understanding you correctly?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 May 2005 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 18

no it won't be sitting on top...do it the same way you would do a bct. after you do your design do your writing either above it, or below it and cover the whole thing with icing.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 4 May 2005 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 18

I have written the letters let them dry and "pushed" them down into the frosting...

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 4 May 2005 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

I have written the letters let them dry and "pushed" them down into the frosting...

I do something like this too flayv. I use the letter cutters to cut my message out of fondant or candy clay. Let them dry a bit and then place them on the cake. When I get them where I want, I push them down into the icing.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 4 May 2005 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 18

Hi Lisa, that was along the line of what I was thinking about this. Cutting the letters out of fondant or candy clay and putting them on is going to be about as close to level with the icing as you can get. Janice

Hmm, would it be possible to just take a writing tip and make a sort of ditch in the icing for your lettering, and then go back and fill it with icing in a smaller tip?

Lisa Posted 4 May 2005 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 18

Another idea might be to pipe on the message with crusting BC and then press it flat. It might look distorted though. I saw this done on Earlene's basketball cake and Carol's which is in the gallery.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 5 May 2005 , 7:16am
post #9 of 18

veejaytx, that is what I do..... I use my lettering press, press them into the cake and thats it.. I have also done as I stated above.... I got that idea for kathykakes when she emailed me.

veejaytx Posted 5 May 2005 , 9:01am
post #10 of 18

Most of the time I print out what I'm writing and use my projector to put it on the cake then trace it, but even then sometimes I don't get it right. I've got some of the letters, I'll have to try them! Janice

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 5 May 2005 , 2:53pm
post #11 of 18

THERE IS AN EDIBLE MARKING PEN. IT LOOKS LIKE A MAGIC MARKER AND YOU CAN WRITE ON CAKES. NOT SURE IF IT IS ANY GOOD OR NOT. I HAVE NOT USED BUT HAVE SEEN IT. I WILL SEE IF I CAN FIND IT OR NOT AND LET YOU KNOW.

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 5 May 2005 , 2:59pm
post #12 of 18

OK ON WILTON.COM GO TO THE STORE AND INTO CAKE DECORATING SHOP UNDER ICINGS AND GELS YOU WILL SEE FOODWRITER PRIMARY COLORS EDIBLE COLOR MARKERS. SORRY I COULDN'T GET THE EXACT LINK TO GO FROM HERE TO THERE. MAYBE SOMEONE ELSE COULD DO IT. I DON'T HAVE A CLUE.

veejaytx Posted 5 May 2005 , 3:01pm
post #13 of 18

I have the markers, but they did not work for me on BC on a cake. They might, I guess on cookies or on fondant, I haven't tried them for that. Janice

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 5 May 2005 , 3:18pm
post #14 of 18

I use the food writers all the time! I love them. I have only written on fondant, not on BC. You can but them at Wal-mart or Michaels.

Mchelle Posted 5 May 2005 , 4:34pm
post #15 of 18

Thank you all so much. I'm going to try the markers and see how that works. I'll keep ya posted.

Lesia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lesia Posted 8 May 2005 , 3:04am
post #16 of 18

Type your message in the font you want on your computer (I use the "paint" program), then flip it to a mirror image. Print it out and lay wax paper over it. Pipe over your letters and let dry. When it's dry, turn it over where you want it on the cake, and press them in. Lightly rub your fingers over the letters so the heat from your hand will loosen them.

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 8 May 2005 , 3:26am
post #17 of 18

When you pipe over the mirrored, printed letters, what medium are you piping ovet the letters with? Gel, etc.?

Lisa Posted 8 May 2005 , 4:07am
post #18 of 18

Dawn has a tutorial on how to do this too.

http://community.webshots.com/album/265808017nRgprD

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%