Wilton Cake Leveler Stinks!

Decorating By vitomiriam Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 3:33am by zubia

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 81

I used the large Wilton cake leveler last night on a carrot sheet cake. I cut through the cake and when I removed the top layer, I realized that my bottom cake was destroyed. I guess the blade was digging down towards the bottom of the cake. Quite frankly, I've never had luck with that thing! I had to patch the cake back together and add pieces of an extra cake I had baked for my DH. I was mortified! Needless to say, I am throwing out the leveler. It's useless!

80 replies
christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 81

I couldn't agree more! I hate mine but I need to save some money for the Agbay one that everyone raves about. The Wilton one is crap! The blade doesn't stay straight and the cake is rarely cut at an even level!! I wonder how many other Wilton levelers are filling up the local landfill!!!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 81

Mine is sitting in a land-fill somewhere too. It was garbage!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 81

I have had better luck. You have to remember to saw the leveler, and not too fast.

takersgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
takersgirl Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 81

i hate mine. it seems to do more damage than good, anazing though because i couldn't live without the smaller one.

montanacactus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanacactus1 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 81

I'm new to cake decorating and bought the Wilton Silicon Pastry Brush....
too bad I already threw away the recipe or it would be going back for a return!
It's absolutely USELESS.... does anyone else have a Wilton Silicon Pastry Brush???
I really hate mine - It's headed for the garbage.
Sally
montanacactus1

dagrama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dagrama Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 81

In that case I don't think I will invest in one any time soon. Good to know.

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 81

Another Wilton large cake leveler hater here (but love the small one)!

Julie icon_smile.gif

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 81

Okay, I just have to reply on this one! I have read that LOTS of people hate the large wilton leveler. But I've been using mine for over a year, even on a stacked wedding cake, and it's never given me any trouble at all! I just clear off a very large area on my counter, make sure the feet of the leveler stay perfectly flat, and slowly saw my way from one end to the other.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 7:59pm
post #10 of 81

I like the smaller one but not the large one

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 81

i don't know which I have, but it works fine for me, and I like my silicone brush, too. My leveler is about a foot across?

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 81

I have the small one and HATE it!!!! Either it sucks or I really don't know how to work it icon_confused.gif

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 8:11pm
post #13 of 81

I have both the small one and large on and the small one never actually cuts for me, I've only used the big one once so far but that seemed to work fine. I just have to go slow to keep it level.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 8:18pm
post #14 of 81

I threw both of mine out the backdoor, cussing until I ran out of swear words. They're not levelers--they're destroyers. I bought an agbay--it's worth every penny, and I no longer cuss!

CakesbyMonica Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 8:56pm
post #15 of 81

I want to try Alton Brown's idea. A saw blade!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 9:40pm
post #16 of 81

Monica, it sounds like you have the small one

CakesbyMonica Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 81

would explain why I couldn't tort the 10 inch easily. icon_smile.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:49am
post #18 of 81

Have any of you ever tried using dental floss instead of the leveler? Just hold the floss taught and move slow and you should be able to level your cake without problems.

Niis-chan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niis-chan Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 6:21pm
post #19 of 81

lol the saw blade idea is pretty cool, I need to try it. As for the wilton cake levelers, I cant get either of them to work for me lol

nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 6:42pm
post #20 of 81

i had the same problem! I think that we should all email Wilton and tell them that they need to improve that product! icon_mad.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 2:34am
post #21 of 81

Try the Agbay cake leveler. It is awesome and worth every penny icon_smile.gif

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 6:17am
post #22 of 81

I always use a saw or a bread knife I bought one of the Wiltons levelers and was a waste of money.

mmo88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmo88 Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 6:41am
post #23 of 81

I always use the big leveler and never had any problem & I also have the silicone brush which I love

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 6:29pm
post #24 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsouza

i had the same problem! I think that we should all email Wilton and tell them that they need to improve that product! icon_mad.gif

I have the small one and it seems to work for me... I used mine this morning on a heavy chocolate cake. It seemed to have a bit of a time cutting through the outer crust, but once it got going... it sliced very nice. I've noticed if I do not saw (lack of better discriptive word) too quickly and go slow it works. There is a trick to it

As for the larger one, I looked at it and left it on the shelf at store. After reading ya'lls comments, I'm glad I didn't buy it!

As far as writing Wilton about the cake leveler... mention something about the taste of the Fondant - YUCK! icon_confused.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 6:37pm
post #25 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

Have any of you ever tried using dental floss instead of the leveler? Just hold the floss taught and move slow and you should be able to level your cake without problems.

How do you know you're holding the floss level? (Or are you just cutting off the crown of a cake that's still in the pan?)

heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 6:47pm
post #26 of 81

I have a hard time with my Wilton small leveler, but like others have said, if you go slowly in a sawing motion it works alright. I am hooked on using an electric knife and small level. I picked up the electric knife, which came in its own case, for about $12 at wal mart. It cuts through cake like butter!

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 6:52pm
post #27 of 81

I returned the large leveler after reading a similar thread about how bad it was. The small one works great for me though. Also, I have been using a serated knife for larger cakes or ones with chocolate chips since those are tough to get through with the wilton leveler.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 10:30pm
post #28 of 81

I have both the large and small one and they both work fine for me, I have never had either destroy a cake.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:35am
post #29 of 81

Littlelinda, I usually have the cake lifted on a low turntable and just hold it taut and pull. You could also use two pieces of wood to guide your had on the side of the cake. I also use this technique when I cut pottery off the wheel. It slices clean if you keep the floss tight. In other words until you get use to this method, use a guide to get a straight cut. I use this method to torte a cake not the top leveling but I'm sure it could be used for that as well.

Aimeestrange Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aimeestrange Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:46am
post #30 of 81

I have the small wilton leveler, and as long as my surface is level- haven't had problems.

I have to say, when I get into BIGGER cakes...I'm gonna try alton browns saw blade idea..just sounds too cool!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%