Anyone Else Have Problems W/bake Strips?

Decorating By Falenn Updated 11 May 2006 , 6:17pm by KrazyKross

Falenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Falenn Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:10am
post #1 of 26

Everytime i use the bake strips.....they stink/smell. it actually makes my house smell. why is that? i've used them several times, and i really dont get a flat cake to boot.

any suggestions?
ty

25 replies
ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:15am
post #2 of 26

I use the Wilton bake strips and have'nt noticed a smell to them. I love them though. My cakes bake up high and flatter (no dome on top). I rarley have to cut the tops to make them even (no wasted cake).

Falenn Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:17am
post #3 of 26

thnx for your reply. mine are from wilton too. i have no idea what im doing wrong then. and i do soak them in cold water.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:21am
post #4 of 26

Are you squeezing the water out of them? Or are you just running your fingers down them lightly to get the extra water off the outside of them? You want to leave as much water in them as possible so just run your fingers down them lightly (place strip between two fingers and pull down gently) I beleive the smell come from them drying out and started to "bake"

Also I have noticed that if I put the strips in a container of water and put a lid on to keep them soaking in the water, then put in the freezer while I mix up my cake mix it gets them soaked and nice and cold. This has yeilded the best results for me.

HTH

Leily

jcg42002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcg42002 Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:21am
post #5 of 26

I use them too and have noticed the same thing. It seems like the smell lessens with each use.

campbelland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campbelland Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:21am
post #6 of 26

Hello, I too love the bake even strips. I use them all the time to get a very level cake. I have read on this forum about ones saying they stink, but mine have never done that. Sandy

Falenn Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:54am
post #7 of 26

i just got done using them, and the sides burnt. a piece of the silver came off. maybe it is the water that im doing wrong. do u think my cake is still ok, and wont smell?

ty for all your replies

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 10 May 2006 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 26

My bake even strips fell apart after many uses and became harder and harder to get wet. I made my own out of quilted cotton. I love them. I hold them on with binder clips.

texaskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texaskitty Posted 10 May 2006 , 1:42pm
post #9 of 26

I posted about the same thing a few weeks ago. My mom and I both have the problem with our strips smelling and they even cause our cake to have a slightly different taste. I don't use the strips anymore. I now use a flower nail when I bake.

Most people don't notice a smell or taste when using their baking strips, and have had no problems what so ever. Wonder if Wilton started making them different?

My oven still kind of smells like the baking strips and it has been months since I used them. If the strips continue to smell just use wet paper towels or an old kitchen towel the same way you use the baking strips. Just make sure they are wet enough.

Falenn Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 26

thnx for all the replies

texaskitty~ can you tell me a bit more about your flower nail method. do u put it in the middle and pour the batter. then pull it out after it cools? and does it work w/a 12x18 pan? does it work just as good as the baking strips?
ty

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falenn

i just got done using them, and the sides burnt. a piece of the silver came off. maybe it is the water that im doing wrong. do u think my cake is still ok, and wont smell?

ty for all your replies

I had this problem too! They burnt!!! Loaded them with water and the darn things burnt!!!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:45pm
post #12 of 26

Sounds like they might be a little dry. How old are they? Any chance you can take them back and if you can't get your money back at least store credit? Just a thought.

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:50pm
post #13 of 26

I have posted about this several times. I had a terrible experience with the bake-even strips. My cake smelled and tasted funny because of the strips. I wet them just like the directions said. Maybe I didn't get them wet enough. I'm not sure. But I don't want to ruin another cake to find out. I use flower nails or baking cores when needed.

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:52pm
post #14 of 26

When I started decorating I used the baking strips... I used them until they fell apart. Well, I never replaced them. I bake all my cakes at 325 and never have a problem with humps or uneven baking. I just did a 12X18 and didn't use anything and it came out fine... I think things like baking strips are another way for Wilton to make $$$$$...

texaskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texaskitty Posted 10 May 2006 , 5:46pm
post #15 of 26

Falenn,

yes, you just turn the flower nail upside down in the pan and make sure you grease it when you grease your pan. When you turn your cake out just pull the nail out.

For me it has worked as well as the baking strips, but I have not used it on anything bigger than an 8in. so far. I learned the method when I posted about my baking strip problems.

For a 12x18 pan you may want to use a heating core.

I haven't been baking cakes for very long. I am sure some of the pros on here can give you some great advice though if you still have questions.

Melissa

campbelland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campbelland Posted 10 May 2006 , 7:35pm
post #16 of 26

Hello, I don't even grease mine anymore, I forgot one time by mistake and it came out fine. I use the upside down flower in all my sheet cakes, I just use 2. Works fine. Sandy

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 11 May 2006 , 1:45am
post #17 of 26

A heating core is a way to get the middle of the cake to bake. I don't think it equates to bake even strips which are meant to pull the cake batter towards the sides thus no crowning in the center. The best asset in using the bake even strips is to keep the sides of the cake moist. That's my opinion.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 11 May 2006 , 1:51am
post #18 of 26

I freeze my bake strips, too! I attach the wet strips to the cake pan, then put the whole deal in the freezer until it's hard! Talk about a cake that rises to the occasion!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 11 May 2006 , 1:52am
post #19 of 26

You know what, I don't even use a heating core anymore. I just hated the big gaping hole it left in the cake. What I use now works wonders - just take a regular flower nail, grease it along with the pan, and place it topside-down into the center of the pan before pouring in the batter. Now remember the flower nail is going to be HOT when you de-pan the cake, so use caution!

- E
Delights By E

Falenn Posted 11 May 2006 , 4:29am
post #20 of 26

thnx everyone. i will definitely try the flower nail next time.

sgbrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgbrock Posted 11 May 2006 , 4:44am
post #21 of 26

My mother and I both use bake strips but not Wilton we just take an old terrycloth bath towel and cut it into two inch strips. Soak in cold water and attach with a safety pin. Works wonderfully and less expensive than buying special bake strips, never had any burn and Ive used the same terrycloth towel bake strips for YEARS. Just my two cents.

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 11 May 2006 , 6:07am
post #22 of 26

Soak them in warm water, not cold. They work better that way.

Rachel

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 May 2006 , 1:17pm
post #23 of 26

I baked a 12x18x2 cake with a flower nail in the center at 350 for 40 min. and it came out absolutely perfect......no hump in the middle (which was a first for me lol) and the sides were actually not crispy by the time the middle was done (another first ) and the cake was very moist and yummy (probably from not having to overbake it to get the middle done)......I LOVE my flower nail.......I've bought about 5 just for using in cakes!!!

Falenn Posted 11 May 2006 , 2:35pm
post #24 of 26

KHalstead--- how many flower nails do u need for a 12x18? i am def. going to try that next time w/any size I end up doing.

thnx for everyone's responses

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 11 May 2006 , 2:39pm
post #25 of 26

I just tried the flower nail trick for the first time and I was totally amazed with the results!!!! My large cakes almost always sink in the middle, but not this one! It was a beauty!

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 11 May 2006 , 6:17pm
post #26 of 26

I've used the bake even strips from Wilton since they first came out and have never had a problem with them. When the get old and show signs of wear (cracking, dryness, etc.) I replace them with new ones. I make sure then are thoroughly soaked and when I get ready to put them on the pans, I just go down the sides with a finger on either side. Don't take all the water out or get them too dry. You still need water in them, so they don't scorch in the oven. Mine have never smelled. I would definitely e-mail Wilton and complain about a continuing problem like this. Perhaps it was some bad fabric or the retardant that is used to keep the heat off the pan. Wilton might be willing to send you a new package to try.

On the flour nail, I also use the flour nail for all my sheet cakes and large circle cakes. It really helps bake them more level and keeps the center baking more evenly with the sides. And, you don't have the large hole that you get with the heating core. I found this tip right here on CC. This site is amazing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%