Sifting Confectioners Sugar

Decorating By heartsfire Updated 7 May 2005 , 4:54pm by Chrystal

heartsfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsfire Posted 4 May 2005 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 12

I have seen many recipes that state the confectioners sugar should be sifted before being added. My mother taught me to make icing 20 years ago and she used a 10X sugar and never sifted it. I have made icing both ways and really don't see a difference. Is there a reason why a 10X sugar should be sifted before being added?

11 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 4 May 2005 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 12

I don't sift my powdered sugar only because I don't seem to get stuff that is lumpy. Some people only sift if the powdered sugar is lumpy. And some people swear by sifting and they sift no matter what.
It boils down to personal preference.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 4 May 2005 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 12

Some of our bakers here at CC always sift; some don't sift at all, (I don't sift) but unless there might be lumps in the 10x conf. sugar or some other problem with it, I don't think it is necessary. Appears to be a matter of choice.
Evidently if you are using anything less than 10x it probably should be sifted. Janice

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 12

heartsfire i just love your avatar!!
i sifted my sugar once and made a big mess...i can't tell the difference so i don't even bother.

LAA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LAA Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 12

Same here. I only sift when I hve lumps. That came after I sifted 12 cups of sugar. The ladies here taught me better. My hand thanks them!!!

Lisa

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 5 May 2005 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 12

I didn't sift at first, but during my first Wilton Classes...I notice that I started having white dots all over my cakes...twice this happened...very frustrating to me. My instructor suggested sifting my 10x sugar first...I didn't, and I haven't noticed any problems since. For now I am convinced until I am proven wrong...which I hope I won't be.
However, as said earlier...personal preference.
icon_smile.gif

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 5 May 2005 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 12

maybe ...if its for something that require the utmost perfection you could sift .....otherwise it should be ok not to. I try to sift my suger when i buy it and put it in a tupperware container so its ready to go ..but i dont always get a chance .....ok ive probably done it twice....but i mean to do it when i buy....

I think that a little lump here or there can add character to the cake....you know like those tags on clothees that says stuff about inperfections being a characteristic of the garment.... he he he

ijust looking for a reason to say its always ok!
sorry about the rambling

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 5 May 2005 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 12

With our humidity here, confectioner's sugar can lump quickly. I always get lumps in my icing if I don't sift, so that's why I always do. It's just a habit with me too I'm sure. I immediately get out the sifter and sift before I mix... but as stated earlier, could be because of the high humidity here.

nathalie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nathalie Posted 5 May 2005 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 12

I don't sift because I heard a tip a while ago for mixing your frosting. After adding all of the powdered sugar to the wet ingredients let it sit for about 5 minutes and then mix one more time. Any lumps will absorb the moisture and will be mixed in the 2nd time around. I never see lumps in mine.

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 6 May 2005 , 2:01am
post #10 of 12

I like that idea........just let it sit hmmm ill have to try that

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 6 May 2005 , 4:13am
post #11 of 12

I'm from La. too & I have to sift my powder sugar to but not always.. only if it's lumpy...

Chrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrystal Posted 7 May 2005 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 12

i live in SC by the ocean and i have to sift mine.. when i lived towards the inland... i didn't have to but now by water i do haha..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%