Opinions Needed

Decorating By meghanb Updated 9 May 2006 , 8:34pm by meghanb

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 9 May 2006 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 5

I am doing a present shaped cake for my friend this weekend. She requested fondant polka dots, and told me to do whatever I wanted otherwise.
At first I thought of doing white buttercream with mutli-coloured polka dots, like pink, purple, teal, yellow, etc.
Now I am wondering if I should do a monocromatic scheme instead. Like light blue icing with a darker blue bow, and different shades of blue polka dots. Or pink...purple?
Any opinions would be appreciated!

4 replies
sgmaluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgmaluv Posted 9 May 2006 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 5

I would say it depends on her personality. The monochromatic theme sounds like it would be very modern and understated, whereas the multi-colored sounds so fun and happy!

AmberCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberCakes Posted 9 May 2006 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 5

I'm with sgmaluv! I think it should match her personality also. Good luck! Please post your pics when you finish. I'm sure it will be very pretty!

~Josie

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 9 May 2006 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 5

I would go multi-colored (there's one in my pictures) if you didn't want the polka-dots to "pop" quite so much, do a soft color background say, pink, then do light yellow, dark pink, blue, light purple dots, etc (any color combo you wanted) if she didn't give you much direction, she's probably thinking multi-color. another "quieter" combo could be a light pink background with light brown dots, light soft mossy green, kind of a soft blue(wilton sells a color called delphinium blue, reminds me of what i would call wedgewood blue) and do the bow in one of the colors of the dots. post pics.

meghanb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanb Posted 9 May 2006 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 5

Smashcakes...I have that shade of blue, it is so pretty!

I really like your picture, I think I will use that as inspiration. I will try for some really bright colours (sometimes it is really difficult to achieve that when colouring MMF though icon_sad.gif).

Thanks for the opinions!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%