Luster Dust

Decorating By tcturtleshell Updated 5 May 2005 , 6:44pm by veejaytx

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 4 May 2005 , 7:19am
post #1 of 14

I am interested in trying luster dust. Does anyone know how it's used & if so do you have an tips or advice to share? Thanks so much~ icon_smile.gif

13 replies
tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 4 May 2005 , 10:52am
post #2 of 14

Hi, Tina. I am new to LD myself. I finally got some last week from sugarcraft. I was told you can use it dry or mix with a clear alcohol to make a paste. I tried both and I am sure I must have messed something up. When I used it dry, there wasn't much effect. I would have used more but I tried 3 "coats" of it and it barely showed-on MMF. When I mixed with alcohol-I used a bit too much I think-it turned kind of pink looking. I was using the Old Gold LD. So I painted it on anyway. When it was drying, I was crying icon_cry.gif thinking that I am going to ruin my hubby's cake! But when he got home, it had dried a bit more and he said that he liked it. He thought there was an antique look to it. I did look more it's normal color once it dried some more. So I will have to take a pic and post it for you all to see when it is done. I am sure that all the mishaps I incurred were through my own lack of know how on how to use this stuff. Hopefully someone can give you some tips that will help us both out. Good luck!
Tanya

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 4 May 2005 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 14

I've used them too. I painted it dry on fondant while the fondant was still moist and I've used it dry on room temp chocolate. It worked really well. I've never used it on MMF and I noticed it doesn't stick well (when used dry) to fondant that's dried or chocolate that's cold. There are a lot of uses for the dusts...you can even airbrush with them.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/dustinfo.htm

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/dusts.htm

katiebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiebug Posted 4 May 2005 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 14

When brushed on dry it to get more of the shimmer (try steaming the piece you have dusted for just a few sec to set the colors , you will be amazed at the difference) When you paint it on you want it kind of thick, if its to thick it will be hard to paint on , to thin and it will not coat properly) I use lemon extract to mix it with all the time. You can also mix the luster dust with piping gel. I mix gold highlighter dust with piping gel to write on my cakes for a little extra sparkle.

tanyascakes Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks for the info,katiebug. I think that I had it too thin. I will have to try it with the piping gel to see what effect I get. Do I have to mix alot with it?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 May 2005 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 14

i think i've used it...not sure. i bought two different things months ago. i used something on my chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. take a look and tell me if that's luster dust...if it is i didn't know you could use it wet??? icon_confused.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 4 May 2005 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

i think i've used it...not sure. i bought two different things months ago. i used something on my chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. take a look and tell me if that's luster dust...if it is i didn't know you could use it wet??? icon_confused.gif

It looks like the roses are dusted. They're kind of shimmery.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 5 May 2005 , 3:00am
post #8 of 14

Great info!! The cake supply store I shop at said to mix it w/ vodka or lemon juice. I have the recipe somewhere I'll have to look it up! I would like to try it!

Keep the good info coming!!! Thanks by the way!!!!

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 5 May 2005 , 3:05am
post #9 of 14

I have used it a few time. There is a cake in my gallery that I used it on, The cake with the knight. The knight was made with grey tinted fondant and then painted with silver luster dust. When I use mine i mix it with vodka because it evaporates or dries faster. Everclear dries faster then vodka but can sometimes casue your fondant to crack. You can also mix it with extracts such as vanilla that have alcohol in them. You also have to pay attention to the type of duster. Luster will dry shiny, petal dust dries flat color, peral dust just give a sparkly or sheeny apperance.

tanyascakes Posted 5 May 2005 , 5:31am
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the info, cakeconfections! I have luster dust(old gold and nu silver), highlighter dust(gold) and super pearl pearl dust. Do you happen to know how the highlighter dust looks when it is used? Thanks!
~Tanya

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 5 May 2005 , 7:18am
post #11 of 14

I ordered some of that and some shimmer dusts...never used them before really so it should be fun..... I will be watching this forum for tips!

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 5 May 2005 , 12:14pm
post #12 of 14

Tanyascakes,

Higligher duster should give you good color with a high sheen. I do not use it because it does not state that it is non-toxiic. Most dusts are non-toxic but there are a few that will state for decorators use only. Those types of dust should only be used on pieces that are not going to be eaten, such as gumpaste. So i will you the gold and silver in the luster dust because they are both non toxic.

There are only few luster dusts that are not non-toxi. They contain iron blue or cromium oxiide and should only be used for decorative pieces.

tanyascakes Posted 5 May 2005 , 4:14pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks again, cakeconfections!! Whew, you sure saved me from a massive mix-up!! icon_eek.gif I could have poisened everyone at the party on Saturday!! icon_surprised.gif LOL

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 5 May 2005 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 14

Tanya, go back to sugarcraft.com and read all the information on the luster dust. I don't think the colors you have are the ones that are toxic. Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%