Any Ideas How To Make Chocolate Maracas?

Sugar Work By kathik Updated 26 Apr 2007 , 10:28pm by DianeLM

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 4:14am
post #1 of 6

I want to make a mexican fiesta cake and put chocolate maracas on top. I would like to be able to make them hollow and fill with chocolate chips or mini m&m's or something so they make noise when they are picked up from the cake. I have been searching and searching and can't find a mold for maracas.

Does anyone have an idea how I can do this?

Thanks,
Kathi

5 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 4:17am
post #2 of 6

Would it work to use an egg mold to make the top part, and attach a fondant handle? I think that a dark chocolate would work better, because it sets harder, which would be better from the noise aspect. (The softer chocolate might dampen the sound, I think.)

RedPanda

kathik Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 6

Well, I don't have an egg mold, but do you think I could use the mini wonder mold pan and put two together? The other problem with the egg mold is I haven't seen any really big ones. Do you know where I can find a really big one?

Thanks,
Kathi

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 6

The chocolate maracas in this picture were made with the egg mold (you gotta get one! icon_smile.gif ) and the handles are made from the cigar mold! And they are hollow.
LL

kathik Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 6

Okay Diane,

Can you tell me where you got those molds, what size egg mold that is and how you attached the two together??? detective.gif

Thanks,
Kathi

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

Okay Diane,

Can you tell me where you got those molds, what size egg mold that is and how you attached the two together??? detective.gif

Thanks,
Kathi

I got the molds at my local cake supply, but I found this http://www.streichs.com/cgi-bin/streichs/E152.html and it looks to be the same as mine. You can find the cigar molds at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. They're the baby annoucement cigars!

I made the handle 3D by gluing two cigars together. Then, I heated a metal skewer and 'melted' a V-shaped notch in the top of the cigar where it attached to the maraca. Hope that made sense. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%