My First Paid Cake!!!

Decorating By BCo Updated 8 May 2006 , 8:06pm by BCo

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 13

Well I finally did it - I took the plunge and started to sell my cakes. This is the first one I sold... It was for a 5 yr old little boy who wanted a baseball theme... I have been stressing about it all week - thank you to those who've encouraged me. It was so much fun to do - I had a bunch of inspiration from the galleries here - thanks to all of those who have pics posted. It's a 10" 2 layer square with ball pan for baseball. Fig Newtons cut to size and dipped in white chocolate for the bases and home plate. (this was my favorite part of the cake - it really came to life when I put them on and the 3D effect really set it off) Gramcracker crumbs for the baselines. I made pennents for the Happy Birthday part b/c #1 the cake "needed" something else and #2 I had no place to write except for the sides and I didn't want to do that- I think it turned out pretty cute with the little flags. I just made them on my computer and printed them off onto picture paper and glued them to skewers!!

I was so nervous when she came to pick it up - I told her that it needed to be on a flat surface when she drives and she said well I can put it on the seat!!! I said NO don't do that - seats aren't flat!! LOL - it was like I was giving up my first born! lol I asked her if she wanted me to carry it to her car and she said no she would do it -she looked at me like I was strange and with the "it's just a cake" look!! AGHHHH - so I watched her all the way down the drive way and into her car. I know once she's gone it was out of my hands but I worried about it for the rest of the day!! LOL - I'm such a dork!!!

So anyway - here it is...

Thanks again for those who supported me...
LL
LL

12 replies
Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 13

wow amazing job!! he must've like it a lot!!!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
Lorris

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 13

Great job!

tootsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootsa Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 13

I love it!! Fig Newtons...who'd have thought!? And I like the flags for the message! GREAT JOB! icon_biggrin.gif

snicker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snicker Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 13

You are funny!! Its not strange at all the way you acted. I am the same way!! When I know my cake is like at a bridal shower or something, I will be sitting at home or something and think "oh its probably about time for them to be eating the cake!! I hope it was done in the middle, i hope it tastes good, I hope the frosting is good.." blah blah blah in my head. I'm sure someday i will stop doing this, but i've been doing it for a couple of years now!! LOL Your not alone!!

Awesome job btw... i love the bases!! neat idea!

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 13

What a great cake!!!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 13

What a neat cake! I'm sure you made that little boy very happy! Can I ask how much you charged for this cake?

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 13

Love the cake. I'm sure the birthday boy was so happy with the cake. At five, he may not have wanted to cut the cake. Great work!!!

dmaam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmaam Posted 8 May 2006 , 5:58pm
post #9 of 13

Your cake looks awesome!! My first cake is due on Saturday and like you - I am so nervous!!!!! I hope that mine looks as good as yours. This will be the first time that I have ever decorated a cake and worked with fondant. I think that I am going to spend more money getting my supplies than I am on actually making the cake - LOL!!!

Anyway, your cake is beautiful. You should be very proud of all of your hard work.

admcf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
admcf Posted 8 May 2006 , 6:03pm
post #10 of 13

That is a great cake!!! I'm the same way when my cakes leave my house. Sat. I made a pizza cake and I carried it to the car myself!! hehe.
We become attached to our cakes.

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 8 May 2006 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 13

Great job!! I probably would have offered to take it to the car myself too!

MissJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJ Posted 8 May 2006 , 6:52pm
post #12 of 13

This is an awesome cake. What did you use for the grass and is that coconut on the ball? icon_smile.gif

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 8 May 2006 , 8:06pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks guys for the nice comments- well first off I only charged $55 for this cake (I'm in Central Maryland)- I'm sure somewhere else I could have gotten more but I'm just getting my feet wet and had no clue what to charge- it was a pretty big, and heavy cake. I know of no one around me that sells cakes on the side so I don't know who prices to go buy. But the lady didn't say anything about the price so I guess it was ok. It's 2 10" squares and I used the ball pan on top. It was my first time using the ball pan so I had no clue what I was doing. The ball is covered in the star tip #16 I think. No easy task - I did it after I doweled it onto the field part. I couldn't figure out how to attach it and not mess it all up so that's the route I chose!! I used the grass around the ball to hide any flaws! icon_razz.gif The grass is just done with the grass tip - sorry, can't remember the #. She emailed me and told me that her little boy loved it - so I guess it was a hit! (no pun intended!! LOL) When she left I turned to my son and said- Do you really think she liked it or do you think she was just being nice!!LOL - he said MOM, I really think she liked it. Then he turned to me and said- can you make me that for my birthday!! Kids are so sweet!!

thanks again guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%