Artsy Theme Cake?

Decorating By ladyamanda Updated 10 May 2006 , 5:53am by riagirl

ladyamanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyamanda Posted 8 May 2006 , 6:21am
post #1 of 13

I want to make a cake for a friend's birthday, and the theme is "Works of Art"....so I need an idea to incorprate the theme into the cake?

Any ideas?

Jill

12 replies
randel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
randel Posted 8 May 2006 , 11:43am
post #2 of 13

Maybe you could do a rectangle cake and make a frame for the edges and have each frame of something your friend likes or transfers of photos....

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 8 May 2006 , 11:48am
post #3 of 13

Welcome to CC Jill. Do you need to make it look lik more than one piece of art? Do you know who her favorite artist is? If so, maybe an edible image of a piece done by that artist or you could duplicate it in icing with a buttercream transfer.

ladyamanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyamanda Posted 9 May 2006 , 6:30am
post #4 of 13

The theme is wide open, so it's whatever I want to intrepret it as.....

I know his favorite cake is red Velvet, and I know I'm going to use the crusting cream cheese frosting, beyond that....it's up to me.

I need to be able to feed about 35 people, and I really want the WOW factor.....I'm debating whether to do fondant or just the cream cheese frosting, royal icing decorations, or color flow.....

Anyone else have any great intrepretations?

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 9 May 2006 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 13

If he is in to real art then I agree with Cindy. Maybe, you can get some art clip art on the net and then do a transfer on the cake. Also, you could make a plaque and then paint like an impressionist scene on them and then frame the plaque with a border. They look great on cakes.

Florimbio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Florimbio Posted 9 May 2006 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 13

There are some great cakes in the gallery section... I have seen some realy cute art pallettes with paints and paint brushes, just a thought!

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 9 May 2006 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 13

I agree to find out his favorite artist and then do a clip art.
OR
You could do something abtract. You copuld look up Jackoson Pollock or abstract artists and see if you can interpit any of their work!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 9 May 2006 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 13

do you have any good 'portrait' style pics of your friend? what about doing a portrait of your friend (you could do a FBCT) in a frame looking border and write, "insert friend's name here", you're a real work of art!

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 10 May 2006 , 4:54am
post #9 of 13

A paint can spilled onto the cake? A palette with colors?

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 10 May 2006 , 5:15am
post #10 of 13

do you have any painting skills? if so maybe you could do some sort of painting on the cake and make a frame border? I have one in my gallery...that is painted...(no frame tho) maybe you could get some more ideas from the gallery.

mrboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrboop Posted 10 May 2006 , 5:28am
post #11 of 13

How about FBCT of different items that an artist would use - paint tubes, brushes, palette, canvas...

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 10 May 2006 , 5:31am
post #12 of 13

If you do have painting skills, this might inspire you, one of my favorite sites...

http://www.jollybebakery.com/painted.html

riagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
riagirl Posted 10 May 2006 , 5:53am
post #13 of 13

here is one of my favorite cakes, it's by talmas and painted using buttercream.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=favpics&cat=0&pos=-36559

there's no way i can ever paint this freehand so if i ever have an opportunity to try it, i think i'll do an edible image and paint over it with BC. maybe you can pick out your friend's favorite work of art and try it?? HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%