What Am I Doing Wrong With My Fondant??

Decorating By MelissaLynn Updated 26 Apr 2007 , 12:37am by mizshelli

MelissaLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaLynn Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 5

Yikes!! I use MMF for all my fondant (especially after I discovered what Wilton's tasted like)... Anyway, I have covered a heart, a square and 7 or 8 total round cakes. What I am having trouble with are on the round ones. Only once did i not have any problems. Every other time, the fondant "bunches" up around the bottom of the cake. I use a raised platform smaller than the cake itself so the fondant can drape down. I start on the top and smooth down. How can I keep from getting those lumps on the bottom? Its usually only on one side or maybe two, but it just drives me nuts! Help me!! icon_eek.gif

4 replies
heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 5

are you pulling down gently as you smooth it out?

MelissaLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaLynn Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 5

I lightly sculpt the fondant to the cake with my hands at first then go back with the smoother and work my way from the top edge to the bottom pulling gently as I go. By the time i get back to the start side, i have leftovers that bunch together and won't smooth out.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 5

I set my cake on a flat surface, not raised. Lay the fondant on and then like pulling out a full skirt to smooth it, I gently lift and pull one edge of the fondant out as far as I can without putting stress on the cake edges, then I smooth the fondant from the top down with the palm of my hand, rotate the cake and do the same thing until I get all the way around the cake. Then I smooth the top and sides with a fondant smoother and cut the excess away from the bottom of the cake with a plain pizza or pastry wheel cutter. It finally solved the problem of that pleat in one or two places at the back of the cake.

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%