In Search Of: Killer Carrot Cake Recipe

Baking By luv2cake Updated 24 Mar 2008 , 9:55pm by lecrn

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 3:13am
post #1 of 31

My sister-in-law told her friend that I make agreat carrot cake. The problem is that I have never made a carrot cake before. I have no fear of making it, but the problem is that I don't have a good recipe.

Please share your favorite carrot cake recipe (or a link to your favorite recipe).

Also, should I use the crusting cream cheese recipe (never made it before) or a normal cream cheese icing. This cake won't be decorated, just iced.

I appreciate any help you can give. THANKS! icon_smile.gif

Brandi

30 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 3:24am
post #2 of 31

Have you checked the recipe section? With the exception of a few, most of the recipes on there are TNT - Tried 'N' True.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 5:39am
post #3 of 31

http://food.southernliving.com/southern/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=257583

I am a carrot cake lover and this one is sooooo good! I have used this recipe for a stacked cake and it worked fine even with the buttermilk glaze.

TheKookieWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheKookieWench Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 6:05am
post #4 of 31

Oooooh, that is a good one, maryjsgirl! I made that for Easter (complete with the buttermilk glaze and deluxe cream cheese frosting) and seriously, I was singing my own praises on how gorgeous and yummy my cake was, which is something I very seldom do!

luv2cake Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 12:41pm
post #5 of 31

That does look like a delicious recipe. Thanks for the link!
I like that it has pineapple and coconut in it.

THANKS!

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKookieWench

Oooooh, that is a good one, maryjsgirl! I made that for Easter (complete with the buttermilk glaze and deluxe cream cheese frosting) and seriously, I was singing my own praises on how gorgeous and yummy my cake was, which is something I very seldom do!

What type of decorations were you able to achieve with this frosting?

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 31

The best I've ever had was the "Awesome Carrot Cake" from the recipe section here. It uses some baby food carrot stuff & a ton of crystallized ginger. THe ginger is pretty expensive, at least in my opinion, but the cake is amazing! I've had several people who LOVE carrot cake tell me it's the best they've ever tasted. I used the crusting cream cheese icing from this site as well for the filling & frosting. My mom has asked me to make it again for her Bible study group next week! It just kind of melts in your mouth and it disappears FAST!

TheKookieWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheKookieWench Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

What type of decorations were you able to achieve with this frosting?

It's a pretty soft frosting so you won't be doing decorations like roses and such. The recipe calls for 3 cups powdered sugar, so I'm figuring (don't quote me on that) that you could add an extra cup of powdered sugar to stiffen it up some to do decorations. Me, I just slathered it on the cake and smoothed it out so it looked flawless.

luv2cake Posted 1 May 2007 , 2:10pm
post #9 of 31

Oh great!
I am headed to the store to buy the ingredients to make the carrot cake recipe from the Southern Living website. Wouldn't you know it that when I went to pull it up it says "Page Not Found"

Does anyone happen to have a hard copy of this recipe? Please!

imartsy Posted 1 May 2007 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 31

TRUST me - use the Awesome carrot cake recipe from here.

hmoffett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hmoffett Posted 1 May 2007 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 31

Best Carrot Cake
From Southern Living

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrot
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 (3 1/2-ounce) can flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Buttermilk Glaze
Cream Cheese Frosting

Line 3 (9-inch) round cakepans with wax paper; lightly grease and flour wax paper. Set pans aside.

Stir together first 4 ingredients.

Beat eggs and next 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Fold in carrot and next 3 ingredients. Pour batter into prepared cakepans.

Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Drizzle Buttermilk Glaze evenly over layers; cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.

Yield: 1 (9-inch) cake

luv2cake Posted 1 May 2007 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 31

Thanks so much!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 1 May 2007 , 3:30pm
post #13 of 31

Has anyone tried that Awesome Carrot Cake recipe? A friend from here tried it and said it tasted good but could have used it for a door stop or brick.....Didn't rise much. And she has made carrot cakes before so knows they are a heavy cake. Others? I have used the candied ginger that they have out for Christmas baking in place of crystallized. Would that work?

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 1 May 2007 , 6:49pm
post #14 of 31

The southern living recipe is an EXCELLENT recipe. Don't hesitate to use it.

imartsy Posted 1 May 2007 , 7:58pm
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

Has anyone tried that Awesome Carrot Cake recipe? A friend from here tried it and said it tasted good but could have used it for a door stop or brick.....Didn't rise much. And she has made carrot cakes before so knows they are a heavy cake. Others? I have used the candied ginger that they have out for Christmas baking in place of crystallized. Would that work?

I don't know what she did - Mine haven't turned out that hard... they didn't rise a ton, which is why I usually end up doing 3 layers - but it ends up being a pretty tall cake. It's fabulous! I don't know about candied ginger - I jsut used the crystallized and it's an AWESOME cake. Everytime I make it people rave about it - especially the people who say carrot cake is their favorite cake. I think it's fabulous.

jill27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jill27 Posted 2 May 2007 , 5:16am
post #16 of 31

the recipe from Southern Living sounds awesome! does anyone know how it holds up for wedding cakes, and also, does the buttermilk glaze effect the time it can be left out at room temperature? thanks!

luv2cake Posted 2 May 2007 , 1:22pm
post #17 of 31

Good questions. I'd like to know also.

Does anyone know???

lisasweeta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasweeta Posted 8 May 2007 , 4:17am
post #18 of 31

I made the Southern living recipe this past weekend for the top tier of a three tiered graduation cake that I covered in fondant (see my pics). The cake is nice and moist and is absolutely delicious. It got rave reviews. That being said, I opted to only use it as the top tier because cream cheese frosting by nature gets "droopy" much faster than a meringue based buttercream. I was not comfortable putting weight on it. The cake itself would hold up fine, I just didn't want pools of frosting oozing from under the fondant!

The buttermilk glaze is like a caramel that is put on while the cakes are right out of the oven. Be cautious and don't feel like you need to use all of it or you might wind up with a leaky cake. It's very sweet, but yummy. For those that level cakes, you'll wind up cutting off the top with the glaze on it, but a little will seep into the cake, so it's worth it.
Since the frosting is cream cheese, I wouldn't leave it out at room temp. It should be refrigerated.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:40am
post #19 of 31

i made the Southern Living carrot cake for mother's day...its the *best* carrot cake i've ever made and the buttermilk glaze is amazing.

ag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ag Posted 15 May 2007 , 9:07pm
post #20 of 31

The best carrot cake I've ever had is from one of Collete Peters books.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:06am
post #21 of 31

I've made this cake several times and is the one I made for the wedding cake in my gallery. I get lots of requests for it.

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups cooking oil
4 eggs
3 c shredded raw carrots

optional ingredients:
2 cups raisins and /or, 1 cup pecan or walnut pieces and/or 1 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained very well

mix dry ingredients with oil then add eggs one at a time. Stir in carrots until well blended, then any additional ingredients you choose. Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 min. or just until it feels done to the touch.
Don't over bake.

Happy Caking!!!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 May 2007 , 5:29am
post #22 of 31

I use the recipe found here:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107118

But I use a small can of carrots in (in addition to 2 grated carrots) instead of boiling my own. I pulse the canned carrots, pineapple and coconut together in a food processor so that you get the flavors, but not big chunks (the carrots should be completely "mushed").

I haven't tried their icing - I make my own.

I do a diabetic friendly version of this cake and sell it at the farmer's market here... and people love it.

pattycakes1326 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes1326 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 8:22pm
post #23 of 31

I have always had good luck with the Wilton recipe. Just use the cake recipe not the white chocolate icing (not good at all). The cake is pretty firm and holds up well. I always get a lot of compliments on ithis recipe.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/cake_mixes/r_carrot_wht_choc.cfm

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 12:40am
post #24 of 31

I'm looking for a carrot cake recipe for easter - thought maybe someone else would like it too! icon_smile.gif

tilly41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tilly41 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:30am
post #25 of 31

This is my "go to" recipe for awesome carrot cake ... I get rave reviews every time! From the Silver Palete cookbook:

http://wellfed.typepad.com/well_fed/2005/12/silver_palate_c.html

tilly41 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:31am
post #26 of 31

This is my "go to" recipe for awesome carrot cake ... I get rave reviews every time! From the Silver Palate cookbook:

tilly41 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 1:34am
post #27 of 31

This is my "go to" recipe for awesome carrot cake ... I get rave reviews every time!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:20pm
post #28 of 31

awesome! thanks tilly!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 5:27pm
post #29 of 31

I use "Best Ever Carrot Cake" recipe on www.allrecipes.com
Rave reviews every time.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 18 Mar 2008 , 6:09pm
post #30 of 31

OK ladies I'm really giving up the goods here...

This is the ultimate carrot cake recipe. People have been known to gorge themselves to the point of sickness on this cake. I have never tried the icing recipe that goes along with it though. I also add in some freshly grated ginger and grate my carrots on the finest setting and omit the cloves. Best served ice cold!

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Whole-wheat%20carrot%20cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%