Sugar Water Drops

Decorating By Machel Updated 25 Apr 2007 , 1:55pm by kbochick

Machel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Machel Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 6

Hi guys. I'm a newbie. I love to bake and decoate just like the rest of you but don't have much experience. I was wondering if any of you knew how to make the clear water drops made of sugar for a beach theme cake. Thanks in advance!

Machel

5 replies
koko4min Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koko4min Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 6

Hi
you could try clear piping gel.

Minicon_smile.gif

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 12:37am
post #3 of 6

Can't answer your question, sorry=( But wanted to say...
Welcome to CC Machel! I see this is your first post, although you have been with us for a while=) Jen

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 2:54am
post #4 of 6

I make my water with poured sugar, what is it you want to know? I used it for the water on my 300 Spartans cake & my Yorkshire cake on my website, if you want to look. I also used sugar for the blue baubles & the tea in my teapot cake.

I use the recipe for hard candy from my old cookbook. I think it's 1c sugar, 1/2c corn syrup, 1/4c water. Bring them to a boil, then turn down the heat and let it get to 290. I generally let mine cool a bit, so it's a more syrupy consistency. I find it to be easier to work with that way. Plus, if it's really hot, it will make fondant bubble.

Anyway, I'm not a sugar professional, but I have used it on a few cakes. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions, but you'll probably get answers from people who have a lot more experience than me. icon_smile.gif

koko4min Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koko4min Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 7:27am
post #5 of 6

Hi Karen
How long does the sugar last on the cake for? That is before it dissolves?

Minicon_smile.gif

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 6

A lot longer than you'd need it to. icon_smile.gif I couldn't bear to throw away the teapot cake that I made for as how, so it sat on my table for a few weeks. It's gross, but I finally threw it away. The sugar never dissolved at all. The sugar wasn't touching any BC, just fondant & RI. I don't know if there would be a problem with BC.

I actually still have the teacup I made to go with the teapot. I made a fondant cup, put a mini cupcake in there, and filled the whole thing with sugar "tea." It's still in great shape. Since the cupcake is completely surrounded by sugar, it hasn't decayed at all. I made it a month & a half ago.

One thing - once you do the sugar, you need to be careful not to touch it too much, because you'll get fingerprints.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%