Best Iciing?

Baking By DamiensMom Updated 8 Jul 2005 , 8:13pm by Lisa

DamiensMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DamiensMom Posted 3 May 2005 , 11:35am
post #1 of 17

I am making a cake for my sons first birthday at the end of the month, using a Winnie the Pooh Wilton cake pan...what is the best/flavorful icing to use? I usually just use cans because I don't have enough time....any suggestions?? birthday.gif

16 replies
momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 3 May 2005 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamiensMom

I am making a cake for my sons first birthday at the end of the month, using a Winnie the Pooh Wilton cake pan...what is the best/flavorful icing to use? I usually just use cans because I don't have enough time....any suggestions?? birthday.gif

i personally love dawns buttercream icing! its delicious!

angelkiss013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelkiss013 Posted 3 May 2005 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 17

For my BCT I used cali4dawn recipe , but used 1cup of buttter and 1 cup of shortening ( instead of 1/2 cup and 3 sticks of butter ).
The icing was very good and my SIL said it was the best icing she ever tasted....

Annie

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 3 May 2005 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 17

I think a recipe that is half shortening, half butter would be a really good icing to use on a character cake (lots of stars?) It will hold up well without melting and taste great. I hear Dawn's recipe is really good.
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-28-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html

I have my own favorite too. It's here...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1948-0-Butter-Cream-with-real-butter-for-decorators.html

And this recipe has a really high rating but I haven't tried it yet.
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1610-1-No-Crust-Buttercream-Icing.html

You'll be amazed at the difference in taste between making your own and buying the tubs at the store. It will be much easier to decorate with too since you can adjust the consistency so your stars will hold their shape much better.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 3 May 2005 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 17

I highly recommend Dawn's recipe, I have gotten the most rave reviews on it.

PLINKO55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PLINKO55 Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 4:09am
post #6 of 17

Hi. I have been decorating with bc for many years. Now i am trying whipped cream for the first time. Do any of you do flowers with whipped vream? I am trying roses, but they will not hold shape. I am ready to use royal iced roses, but would rath not. Can someone pleeeese tell me what I am doing wrong? I am using Rich's whipped topping an cqnnot seam to get it any heavier than it is after beating for 15 minutes. Thanks

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 4 Jun 2005 , 4:30am
post #7 of 17

ok i have my own recipe that i use.... but i found this one and made it and its the best i ever had... taste just like the stuff from a bakery... and not overly sweet
2 c shortening
1 stick butter
1/4 to 1/2 c heavy cream
2 # powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla

Gaut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gaut Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 17

Hi,

Can someone share Dawns BC recipe with me. I am new to cake decorating and use all the help I can get. This site is wonderfull, I enjoy reading everyones comments and suggestions--they are all so helpful
Thanks,
Debbie

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 3:25pm
post #9 of 17

Dawn's recipe is for sure the way to go. I usually use 1c shortening to 3 sticks of butter, but you have to work quick.

Wandootie

Lisa Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaut

Hi,

Can someone share Dawns BC recipe with me. I am new to cake decorating and use all the help I can get. This site is wonderfull, I enjoy reading everyones comments and suggestions--they are all so helpful
Thanks,
Debbie

Here it is...

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-28-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 9 Jun 2005 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 17

Does everyone really sift the sugar 5x?

Deb

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 12 Jun 2005 , 1:32am
post #12 of 17

I buy 10x sugar so I won't have to sift at all.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 2:56pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamiensMom

For all my kid's birthday cakes I use buttercream with all Crisco because in case they want to do an outdoors party, it stays well in the heat. Also, the creamy thick texture is wonderful for pipping....

Wilton's buttercream Recipe

2 cups of Crisco (shortening)
1 bag of 2 lbs of confectioners sugar (10x)
2 tablespoons of meringue powder
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1 teaspoon of almond extract (optional but improves the flavor)
4 tablespoons of water or milk for thick consistency

6 tablespoons of water or milk for medium consistency
8 tablespoons of water or milk for thin consistency

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 3:03pm
post #14 of 17

Lisa, I know you use the Viva papertowel method for smoothing cakes, but can your icing recipe be smoothed with the Viva papertowels?

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 5 Jul 2005 , 3:23pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

Lisa, I know you use the Viva papertowel method for smoothing cakes, but can your icing recipe be smoothed with the Viva papertowels?

I'm not Lisa but....
Did you mean without?
I have smoothed Dawn's buttercream without paper towels, I use the hot spatula method. I dip my spatula into a tall glass of boiling hot water for about 5 seconds, and then dry off with a towel, and then smooth out my cake. It works great!

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 6 Jul 2005 , 3:40am
post #16 of 17

I made Dawn's recipe this weekend, and I have to say my favorite (and my families' favorite too) is Lisa's.

Everyone has their own personal favorites. It really depends what you like in a frosting. Some love the real sicky sweet taste and others like a not so sweet creamy taste. That is why there is not just one great recipe, there are many great ones. I am still experimenting. There a couple more I want to try out, but for me, the Buttercream (with real butter for decorators) is unbeatable!!!

If you haven't tried it yet, you definitely should!

Lisa Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 8:13pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

Yes it can...works great! If you use patterned paper towels, it holds the pattern really well too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%