Using Cc Members

Decorating By kris_813 Updated 26 Apr 2007 , 4:20am by stephanie214

kris_813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris_813 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 134

I may be wrong, but do any of you ever get the feeling that some people(very very very few, ok, maybe one or two) join this site just to use us. Not for recipes or ideals, but for other things. I'm not sure how to explain it without offending anyone, but there are thousands of us on here and we are a very powerful group if asked to do something for the cause. Does anyone here know what I'm talking about?

133 replies
stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 134

Hi kris,

Love your avatar...he is a cutie icon_biggrin.gif

Yep, we are, if I'm not mistaken, the largest cake site. I'm not quite sure, but are you talking about advertising or getting info to help with starting their business? thumbs_up.gif

kris_813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris_813 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 134

Nope, because that's what this site is here for. I'm talking about something else.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 134

I can appreciate how you're trying to convey your idea without offending anyone but it's still pretty vague. Are you talking about using us like a political lobby? Is someone trying to "slam" another business by discrediting them?

I can't say that I've ever encountered anything like this... icon_confused.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 134

I don't think I get it. icon_confused.gif

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 134

do you mean by getting votes for things like baby contests or votes for any other contests?

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 134

I must be slow because I don't get it either! Can you help us?
Faye

Bzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bzer Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 134

Not sure what you mean?...give us another hint...

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyfl

do you mean by getting votes for things like baby contests or votes for any other contests?

This was what I was thinking. Hmmm... icon_cool.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 134

You read my mind. I just treat certain posts like a commercial, change the channel, lol.

Ali24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali24 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 134

I don't get what you are talking about....please help out.

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:02pm
post #12 of 134

You mean use this site to sell their Pampered Chef, Wilton, Williams Sonoma, etc. stuff?

Ali24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali24 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:02pm
post #13 of 134

So I'm a slow typer.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 134

Yes I understand what you are talking about. Let's say I post a cake pic, to prove "I am one of you too" then it isn't to long before I start asking something of the community. I have seen this a few times. I too-change the channel.

Marvelous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marvelous Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:04pm
post #15 of 134

Use us? Slightly confusing...a little paranoid....But i like where this is going! icon_lol.gif Ok I'm kidding. But honestly if you do feel you're going to offend people by saying what you're trying to say its best if you don't mention it ONLY because its been known to happen around here and it makes people quite unhappy and since this is a friendly cheery lil community we have going then the happier the better.

Note: I'm still very curious though...

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:04pm
post #16 of 134

o.k. I admit it....I use you guys.....for free therapy...Thanks!

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:07pm
post #17 of 134

I think I know where your coming from. I have people wanting direction on some of my cake. I'm always glad to send, but then I go to see their pictures or post and there is none. Some of them are members for years. I wonder whey they don't share their talent with use. I think sometimes they are here for themselves only.

Countryatheart32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Countryatheart32 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:10pm
post #18 of 134

I am really a brunette, but feel like I'm a blonde!!!!! LOL

No offense to our very talented and smart blonde's out there!

But I am definately lost! LOL

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:14pm
post #19 of 134

Oh yes! That thought has crossed my mind more than once as well...............and what a great source/force we are to tap into when you think we have over 80,000 members to sway into helping some self-serving cause or similar - things completely unrelated to cake!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:19pm
post #20 of 134

Well I'll just come out and say it... I read a thread recently where someone who had very few posts to begin with used the whole thread to encourage us to vote for her for something or other -- it just seemed like a blatant campaign on her part. Is that the sort of thing you are talking about?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:21pm
post #21 of 134

sue_dye,

I know exactly what you mean. I do not like that, either. There are what, 70,000 members here, but only 300-400 of us participate regularly.

I have also noticed that there are some newbies who are obviously not new to cake decorating, as their first post asks about complicated cake work, fondant inlays, chocolate wraps, etc. A little intro when they ask for help with these techniques, especially about their experience level, would be nice. It's easy to assume that just because it is a person's first post, that means that they're new to decorating, but I could be so very wrong. I would rather discourage someone with very little experience from taking on difficult techniques without some training, than to have them become totally discouraged with the outcome, then give up on cake decorating altogether.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MikkelPaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikkelPaige Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:27pm
post #22 of 134

I'm a true newbie and want to be very involved icon_smile.gif I strive to have over 1,000 posts like many of you!! Thanks for being welcoming icon_biggrin.gif

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:28pm
post #23 of 134

Okay - I'm not cluing in to what the originaly posted meant by this thread ...

Everyone seems to have their own ideas as to what 'being used' means to them on CC. I honestly don't feel that this thread can go anywhere but downhill when it is said in that context.

People have asked me for advise, instructions, patterns, recipes, etc., and I'lm glad to help where I can ... and I have done the same. That to me is what CC is all about - people coming together to share their knowledge and in the process learn from others.

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:31pm
post #24 of 134

If it's the case, then so be it. Ignore it and it'll go away.

This can't go anywhere positive, so just leave it alone.

Stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, please!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:32pm
post #25 of 134

Yes, we could be a huge force to be reckoned with if we made a move 'en force', so I can see how someone would be tempted to try it. (vote for me) I mean, there are hundreds of brilliant and influential people here! (I'm the bomb) And people respond to powerful groups! (Vote for me) Ok, I am just kidding. But I know where you're coming from. (I rule) I appreciate that you don't want to say anything specific to spare feelings, etc. (Is it me?) That is wise of you!! (It's me, isn't it?) Well, thanks for letting us vent this feeling. (Oh my God, they're onto me! I'm outta here!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:34pm
post #26 of 134

Melvira - you crack me up!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:36pm
post #27 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Yes, we could be a huge force to be reckoned with if we made a move 'en force', so I can see how someone would be tempted to try it. (vote for me) I mean, there are hundreds of brilliant and influential people here! (I'm the bomb) And people respond to powerful groups! (Vote for me) Ok, I am just kidding. But I know where you're coming from. (I rule) I appreciate that you don't want to say anything specific to spare feelings, etc. (Is it me?) That is wise of you!! (It's me, isn't it?) Well, thanks for letting us vent this feeling. (Oh my God, they're onto me! I'm outta here!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Melvira you rock! icon_lol.gif You got my vote! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif Now, would you just do my homework for me? icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:36pm
post #28 of 134

Melvira you are so funny!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:38pm
post #29 of 134

Melvira- You CRACK ME UP!! icon_lol.gif

I'm always trying to be very conscious of how much I contribute vs. how much I ask- I try to only ask things after I've researched the site thoroughly for the answer to see if it's already been posted. I would hope that someone would PM me if they ever felt I was taking advantage...

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:38pm
post #30 of 134

I'm sorry... funny? Did I say something funny? (OMG... they can read my thoughts!!!!!!!! icon_eek.gif )

Edited to add: Hey wonderbuns... it depends on what you are studying. I did graduate with an IT degree with a 4.0, but I slept with a LOT of teachers! KIDDING!!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%