Leveling Cakes?

Decorating By momof5kiki Updated 24 Apr 2007 , 5:02pm by indydebi

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 9

OK experts how do I get the cakes level? Is there a cake building for dummies book LOL

8 replies
vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 9

I know how you feel. The first cake I made was way off. You would have thought I was doing Topsy Turvy cakes. My teacher taught me that you try to tort is as straight as possible and if it is still off you take some of the scraps and stuff them here and there to raise one side or the other. It does work. Doesn't look pretty at the time but once the buttercream and stuff is on it .... you can't tell the difference. Hope this helps.

Vie

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 9

Trim the tops to make them level. The strips around the pan can help as well.

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 9

Im not an expert, but this might help, i use wooden guide sticks place them either side of the cake and run the knife along. seems to work for me.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 9

I have both of the Wilton cake levelers. One for smaller cakes, up to about 8" inches, I think. The larger one for large ones and sheets. Love them both.

gregus28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gregus28 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 9

I received a great tip from a bakery. To level your cake use fishing line.Put it at one end and then just run it through the cake towards you. They told me you can wipe it off and reuse it also. But for the cost of fishing line I would just throw it away.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 9

If I were you I'd practice this on something not too special. It's not as easy as it sounds to drag a line/wire/string thru something and get a straight cut. Sure fishing line is lots cheaper, but cheap doesn't always get the job done well. Now if you're talking about dragging it straight and tight accross the top of your cake pan that's another story. Maybe that's what the bakery does.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 9

I use dollar store dental floss to level my cakes right out of the oven while they're still in the pan! I overfill my pans with batter so they rise above the pan and once I level and flip them out of the pan they are perfectly level! I use the Wilton leveler if I'm torting cakes!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 9

Wilton (or any brand that you like) leveler. Only way to go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%