Do You Ever Feel Like.....????

Decorating By creativepassion Updated 24 Apr 2007 , 6:15pm by creativepassion

creativepassion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativepassion Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:15am
post #1 of 10

Have you ever made a cake that looked so marvelous in your mind as you planned it out but as you actually started to make it, you were extremely disappointed with the outcome? I rarely make cakes anymore so I'm out of practice I guess but I got my first order in over 6 months. I was presented a picture. Usually when someone gives me a picture they think my cake will look exactly like that picture, but then when I deliver the best I can to them, they don't seem excited about it. Maybe because the cake doesn't look exactly like the picture. Anyway, I'm my own worst critic and all I can see in my finished product are all the rotten flaws, I always wonder if the customer notices.

Anyway, just venting my frustations and disappointments. Thanks for listening!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

9 replies
heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:42am
post #2 of 10

I know exactly how you feel and I think most of us have felt that way before. And I so know what you mean about customers showing you pictures of what they want. I hate it when they say, "I was looking at the wilton book and saw this" or whatever, because there is no way I can get my cake to look like anything that is in wiltons books!!

But your shoe box cakes looks FABULOUS! You obviously have a ton of talent, so I'm sure you are just a bit paranoid! Try not to think too much of it, because seriously I'm sure they loved it.

redred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redred Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 10:37am
post #3 of 10

Cakes have minds of their own - I find that my original idea morphs about a hundred times; up until it is finally made I don't know exactly how it will turn out. But if I were you I wouldn't despair - with experience you will know exactly what you are capable of, and soon you will be able to replicate whatever you wish, or even make something better than the original photo.

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 10:50am
post #4 of 10

I hope you aren't referring to the shoe box cake. That cake is fantastic! I haven't met anyone on her yet that doesn't have talent and I think we criticize ourselves to much, I know I do. I get frustrated with some of my cakes but when I deliver them I see how much they like them and it really brightens my day. So I think it is just us. I tell my customers that I will never create another persons cake, there will be something different about it and they seem to be fine with it. Keep up the good work. icon_biggrin.gif

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 11:12am
post #5 of 10

Sure! I never build the cake that I "see" in my head . And, just like everyone has said, I'm the only one who's disappointed. As far as pictures, I always stress that my cake will not look exactly like the picture.

vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 11:32am
post #6 of 10

Creativepassion, I just looked at you shoebox cake and if your customer wasn't excited about it well they need to get glasses. I think you were being way to hard on yourself. You did a fantastik job on your cake. Customers that come to me and say I want this .... the first thing I say is I will try but it won't be exactly the same. I know we are our worse critics but this time Creativepassion you have nothing to be critical about.
Vie

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 10

Sometimes I'm disappointed in the final outcome of my cakes. For this reason or that. Many times though that's when I finish up late at night or early morning. In the morning it usually looks better to me. I never ever point out flaws or share my disappointment with the client. Cheer up and keep practicing. My freinds and family love it when I practice!

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 10

your work is very good, continue the practicing, but you have a lot of talent, keep practicing

writer_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writer_mom Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 10

I know exactly what you mean. I didn't even take pictures of the last cake I made. And I made a cake for my sister-in-law that really didn't turn out at all like I planned.

It is a struggle at times when your vision doesn't match the outcome. However, I believe you should keep trying; maybe when you come up with the initial concept for the cake, you could simplify the design a bit to make things a little easier for yourself.

A great confidence booster for me is making free cakes for my friends or family. They are always so appreciative and provide great feedback.

creativepassion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativepassion Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you all so much for such wonderful advice and encouragement. Today's a new day and I feel better and the cake even looks better in the picture today. I love the idea of making practice cakes! That's the best kind of cake I like to make.....the one that someone has not ordered. Then I can do it anyway I like! icon_lol.gif

Thanks for your support! I hope I can offer some to all of you in the future!

Take care!

Camille thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%