Sheet Cake Question.

Decorating By brey1180 Updated 4 May 2006 , 10:22pm by TJSCAKES

brey1180 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brey1180 Posted 4 May 2006 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 9

this may be a dumb question but i was asked to do a sheet cake. I have not done a sheet cake. Just squares and rounds. okay with the sheet cakes do you make two and stack them to make the cake about 4 inches high or do your just leave it at 2 inches with one layer?

8 replies
mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 4 May 2006 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 9

Well....that depends.....what does the customer want???

You can just leave it or you can stack it or........if you're brave enough you can torte it!

Good Luck!!!!!

Sheets are generally done with just the one layer unless specified, though.

brey1180 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brey1180 Posted 4 May 2006 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 9

thank you so much for your reply!

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 4 May 2006 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 9

I don't fill a sheet cake. The last one I made was in a 9X13 pan and I used the cake extender recipe from CC. I liked it because it didn't overflow the pan, but it baked all the way to the top of the lip.

LoriannaN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriannaN Posted 4 May 2006 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 9

All I really ever do is sheet cakes. I make two and stack them with buttercream in the middle (or whatever icing you're using). It makes it *so* good. I don't think I've ever done it any other way.

chrysb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrysb Posted 4 May 2006 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 9

I'm new to this site. Can tell me what the cale extender recipe is. I have never heard of it. Thanks Chrysb. icon_razz.gif

spoiledtoodef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spoiledtoodef Posted 4 May 2006 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 9

I do alot of sheet cakes also. I either have one layer or if requested I torte it. Here's the # of boxes I use per cake:

9x13--2 cake mixes(1/4 sheet)
12x18--3 cake mixes (1/2 sheet)
18x24--6 cake mixes (full sheet)

Also in order to achieve the right height. I take an old bath towel cut it into strips, the same width of the cake pan. Then soak it in ice cold water. Remove as much water as you can from the strips then pin it around your pan. Add your cake batter and cook. I normally bake my cakes at 325. This will help make sure that your cake sides doesn't cook before the insides. Causing a large hump in the middle of your cake.

Here's another tip for the 12x18 and larger I use the flower nails as heat conductors. This helps with even baking.

Well good luck and I hope this helps...Kim

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 4 May 2006 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 9

If you look in the recipes section, it's listed as "Enhanced Cake Formula."

TJSCAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJSCAKES Posted 4 May 2006 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 9

i always make 2 layers and fill them with buttercream. Sometimes I mix preserves or jam in the buttercream for the filling! YUM!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%