Sunset Theme - Please Help!

Decorating By DelightsByE Updated 4 Jun 2006 , 7:27pm by dsoutherngirl

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 4 May 2006 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 25

Hi !
I just booked a job for a wedding with a sunset theme. Bride's colors are orange, purple and pink. She wants a square 3-tier, with or without a fountain. No flowers on the cake. Anyone have any ideas? Photos would be helpful!
APPRECIATE IT!

- E
Delights By E

24 replies
talking_head Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talking_head Posted 4 May 2006 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 25

Thats a tough one. How detailed do you want the cake to be? You can do a progressive sunset and cover each three tiers with progressively golden/mellow marbled fondant. Then hand paint silouhettes of trees like a vista.

stickernoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stickernoodle Posted 4 May 2006 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 25

How 'bout making the bottom tier look like sand (I find mixing icing sugar with graham crumbs looks awesome as sand on top of b/c) and using palm trees as pillars with the 2 remaining tiers stacked on top, possibly in fondant & hand-painted or sprayed with color mist from orange on the bottom gradually up to pink, then up to purple on the top. (I like the idea of marbelized fondant, too!) Hmm... I'll keep thinking. Great theme! icon_smile.gif

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 4 May 2006 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 25

What if you did something like a mosaic? Had a little bit of the sun and rays coming out from the bottom of the cake (which would be stacked with no pillars or fountain) and then did swirls of the orange, pink and purple? I've added some pics, so that you get an idea of what I'm talking about. I think that would look really cool.
LL
LL
LL

talking_head Posted 5 May 2006 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 25

What a fantastic idea! I like it.

DelightsByE Posted 5 May 2006 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 25

all great ideas, although the mosaic is a little intimidating... icon_eek.gif

BUT

as of this morning the bride says "no fondant" thumbsdown.gif

I thought I might do each tier a muted shade of each of her colors starting with orange at the bottom, then pink and then purple. Then i'd ice on little tiny clouds and birds (like the "v" shape, you know?).

What do we think about that? I'm still welcoming any and all suggestions!

THANKS!

carflea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carflea Posted 5 May 2006 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 25

I think you could paint the cake.... Look in my photo section. In one of my classes we did an ark cake, we used piping gel and blue to paint the bottom of the cake(for water).... The rainbow is also painted on.... You let the buttercream crust before you paint it. It could look really pretty if you go very lightly with the colors. OOOH you could do like a half sun for a topper with pinkish orangish fluffy clouds and then just cascade with colors from there... Just and idea i hope this helps some : )
How fun what a great idea.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 5 May 2006 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 25

Here are a couple cakes that have been airbrushed.
LL

talking_head Posted 5 May 2006 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 25

you can also do edible images of her favorite sunsets on the side of the cake like a panoramic view.

DelightsByE Posted 7 May 2006 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 25

ooh ! ooh !

edible images!!!!!

how could I have forgotten about that!

I can get out and take some digital pictures, the sunsets here have been stunning lately!

I like the airbrush idea, but the wedding is on June 3 and I don't have time to learn or practice.

Carflea - I'm going to go look at your photos in a minute!

THANK YOU ALL!

DelightsByE Posted 7 May 2006 , 1:53pm
post #11 of 25

hey carflea -

Why can't I get into user galleries? I can't see any of your photos!

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 7 May 2006 , 2:38pm
post #13 of 25

You may have to subscribe to this site but it's free and they have some terrific pictures of sunsets. I'll try the link and see if it works http://www.webshots.com/search?query=sunset&start=200

DelightsByE Posted 7 May 2006 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 25

but...I DO subscribe to this site! icon_cry.gif

dsoutherngirl Posted 7 May 2006 , 9:26pm
post #15 of 25

you mean when you click on carflea's photos you can't see any? icon_confused.gif

DelightsByE Posted 7 May 2006 , 10:26pm
post #16 of 25

no...when I go up to the "galleries" tab up top, then go down the list and select "user galleries", it tells me "there are no user galleries". So am I looking in the wrong place??

The_Parsons_Wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Parsons_Wife Posted 7 May 2006 , 10:46pm
post #17 of 25

"user galleries" would be pictures that you have placed into the galleries...which are zero, so there are no user galleries in your case. Pick a different area to browse. Blessings, Shawn <><

The_Parsons_Wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Parsons_Wife Posted 7 May 2006 , 10:48pm
post #18 of 25

To look at another's gallery, click on their "photos" button at the bottom of their post, their gallery will come up for you to view. Blessings, Shawn <><

dsoutherngirl Posted 7 May 2006 , 11:44pm
post #19 of 25

That's right. To see carflea's photos, ckick on photos at the bottom of her message box. icon_biggrin.gif

DelightsByE Posted 8 May 2006 , 12:30am
post #20 of 25

DUH icon_redface.gif

thanks!

DelightsByE Posted 15 May 2006 , 1:56am
post #21 of 25

OK guys - here's one for you. One of you, I think it was dsoutherngirl, sent me a link over to Webshots.com for some sunset photos. And she's right - there were several hundred thousand out there for sunsets. I downloaded 5 really beautiful ones hoping I could get them edible-imaged. But now the joke is on me....I can't print them. Heck - I can't even LOOK at them. Now...if I want to see them I can download Webshots software. But even then I still can't print. And I certainly won't be able to turn them into JPGs for the purpose of e-mailing them to the girl who's going to print them on her KopyKake for me.

So - any suggestions??? We haven't had any pretty sunsets here in over a week and I'm getting nervous!

annlou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annlou Posted 15 May 2006 , 2:12am
post #22 of 25

There is a beautiful sunset bridal shower cake by gmcakes in the gallery. LouAnn

It is under luau in the gallery

DelightsByE Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 6:50pm
post #23 of 25

photo posted in my gallery

Thanks for all your help!

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 7:18pm
post #24 of 25

i like this cake alot, i could never think up anything new-i'm so glad i have my friends at CCC

dsoutherngirl Posted 4 Jun 2006 , 7:27pm
post #25 of 25

Sorry...I just knew there were pretty sunsets on that website. Your cake turned out very lovely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%