Mother Nature Gave Me A Thumbs Down. :-( What Do You Think?

Decorating By Sugar_Plum_Fairy Updated 15 Apr 2008 , 2:11am by lori_d

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 50

I have never seen a real Sweet Pea flower, or at least not that I can recall. But I went searching for photos online and in some cake decorating books and websites I found out how to pipe them. What I wanted to do however, was make them in gumpaste.

So last night I decided to try my hand at making them for an upcoming cake and figured I'd ask for opinions. As I was taking my last photo - outside in natural sunlight - a breeze came by and took my flower former and all over the rail of my deck and now I have no more Sweet Peas (or SP wannabees). icon_cry.gif

I'd still like opinions though and honest critiques, advice on how to do them and what should've been done differently. All these will be very much appreciated. Obviously Mother Nature didn't care for them.

TIA
LL

49 replies
heiser73 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 50

Wow..I think they look amazing! Great job!

susanscakebabies Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 50

I dont' recall ever seeing one either. but as far as yours they are very pretty. I think mother nature was just testing you. Not saying she didn't like them. icon_wink.gif

Janette Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 50

I like them

karensjustdessert Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 50

I just decorated a cake with them over the weekend!
Yours are lovely, and look as delicate as the real thing.

ChrisJ Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 50

I think they are exactly like the ones I googled. I'm so sorry they went flying off your deck. I had that happen one time with the entire flowers I made at my Course 2 class. I'm sure the other ones you make will look just as lovely.

cambo Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 50

I think they're beautiful!

marthajo1 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 10:08pm
post #8 of 50

I went out to my garden and pickedA sweet pea for you! I took it apart and I am going to post the pictures of each petal. I am downsizing them now-- stay tuned!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 50

heiser73, susancakebabies, Janette, karensjustdessert, ChrisJ, & cambo, thanks so much. I honestly didn't know if they'd be recognizable as Sweet Peas, but after your compliments I guess even if they don't look like the 'real thing' I guess they can pass for flowers. icon_smile.gif

marthajo1, gosh, thanks ever so much. I didn't get you anything though. icon_lol.gif

Seriously, thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to do that for me. Can't wait to see what they look like.

Gee, a sweet pea donated it's life so that I may artistically clone it! Wow!
icon_twisted.gif

marthajo1 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 50

Oh shoot now I feel bad! But its already done so I may as well post the pics!
LL
LL
LL
LL

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 10:55pm
post #11 of 50

marthajo1, that is so cool. Thanks ever so much. I'm a visual learner so that really helps! I appreciate it.

(Didn't mean to make you feel badly.)

From what I can see, I guess my Frankenflower creations weren't too far off the mark. Cool.

marthajo1 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 11:01pm
post #12 of 50

oops icon_redface.gif

marthajo1 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 50

Okay Last picture! This is a set of three buds still in the garden. They are from the same plant just haven't turned white yet. All the flowers are grouped in threes.

(also later in the spring my sweet peas will have pods that look like regular pea pods that would look cool to add!)

BTW yours did look really good. I especially loved the color- I had some last year that were just that shade!
LL

Janette Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 11:24pm
post #14 of 50

That poor little Sweet Pea was minding it's only little Sweet Pea business and now, now it's gone to Sweet Pea Heaven.

marthajo1 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 11:31pm
post #15 of 50

I only picked one!!!!!! Come on now its for art!! For the record I sometimes pick them and put them in a vase cuz they smell divine!!! icon_evil.gif

Don't even get me started on my freesias!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 11:33pm
post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

That poor little Sweet Pea was minding it's only little Sweet Pea business and now, now it's gone to Sweet Pea Heaven.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Thanks for the chuckle!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 11:38pm
post #17 of 50

marthajo1, again thanks. It's nice to learn about flowers that I don't have access to. Hey, I just learned yesterday that the bird that began building its nest on my front porch light is a phoebe. I felt bad because when it started the first one I wasn't sure if it was a nest or if my kids had thrown some mud and moss up and it landed on the light fixture. I mistakenly cleaned it away.

It appears these little guys are persistent though and she built another one in the same place! Can't wait until there are eggs and chicks. I'm sure my three cats will be sitting by the front door all day long.

Now no more murdering poor innocent sweet peas. Ya hear?!! (just kidding) icon_razz.gif

Seriously, many thanks for taking the time to post those photos for me. I'm going to try making more tonight.

eilers Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 11:55pm
post #18 of 50

You know, you need to pick sweet pea frequently in order for them to flower continuously .... marthajo1 - you were doing the plant a favour!!!
Sugar_Plum_Fairy ... your gum paste ones are fab!!

marthajo1 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:03am
post #19 of 50

yeah, thanks Eilers!! icon_smile.gif I know--If I am going to deadhead my flowers I might as well do it a little early and enjoy them too!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:03am
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilers

You know, you need to pick sweet pea frequently in order for them to flower continuously .... marthajo1 - you were doing the plant a favour!!!
Sugar_Plum_Fairy ... your gum paste ones are fab!!

Thanks so much. icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

Janette Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:24am
post #21 of 50

Hummmmm icon_confused.gif

marthajo1 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:16am
post #22 of 50

uh-oh what's wrong janette?

Janette Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:23am
post #23 of 50

I was just thinking about the "need" to pick Sweet Peas

I must accept some times we have to do what we have to do

I won't kill a spider in my house. I just sho it away. They eat the bad bugs anyway.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:38am
post #24 of 50

Janette, now you sound like my hubby. He does the same thing. I keep telling him one day he'll be rescuing a black widow spider. lol

marthajo1 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:43am
post #25 of 50

Well I also plant enough to feed the bunnies if that makes it any better. icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 5:56am
post #26 of 50

Awww, I can't wait to see the bunnies come out this spring. Tonight I got to see my first bat of the season flying around. I love them. Just not living under the eaves of my house which is why I had to have them "evicted" last summer (they were smoked out and they flew away, then metallic mesh material was put under the eaves to keep them from being able to roost there again).

I've been seeing plenty of groundhogs though. Seems like every summer there are some new additions in my back yard.

eilers Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:32pm
post #27 of 50

Seriously Janette, I plant sweet pea every year. A couple of years ago I couldn't get to cut the flowers as I was too pregnant to care for the scent in the house at the time(!), and they died much earlier than they usually do ... despite looking after them the same as normal!
I wouldn't kill a spider either ... I'm usually about a mile away from them a split second after I see them!!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:48pm
post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilers

I wouldn't kill a spider either ... I'm usually about a mile away from them a split second after I see them!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I'll 'take care of them' if I have to, but if someone will do it, I'm all for it.

marthajo1 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 7:22pm
post #29 of 50

Oh my gosh sugar plum fairy--- I just found sweet pea cutters!!

http://www.cakesbydesign.cc/MetalCuttersRtoZ.html

And veiners!

http://www.cakesbydesign.cc/SiliconeVeiners.html

Wow that website has some beautiful things....I want to order a dvd course!!

Janette Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 7:29pm
post #30 of 50

I found it to be a cool site, but why don't they list their prices?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%