Ideas For Shop Ambience...

Business By marmar Updated 4 May 2006 , 3:21am by golfgirl1227

JamieL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieL Posted 3 May 2006 , 11:51pm
post #31 of 36

I like the idea of the wooden floors--that gives a nice warmth. Maybe I'm conservative, but I think it makes the most sense to stay neutral with walls and countertops, and then let your decorating do the work. It allows you a lot more flexibility--tablecloths, picture frames, curtains, window displays, seasonal decor--then you can do whatever you like.

I would also add that a critical thing would be to make the layout as cozy as possible. You know how in small ice cream stores there is often a rectangular space, with the ice cream counter area along one side and a single row of tables along the other? That isn't as inviting or cozy for a place with tea, cookies, cupcakes, etc. for women to sit and chat and enjoy an hour together. If your seating provides a nice view but doesn't make guests feel rushed or "exposed" to lots of traffic, they are likely to enjoy the space and time there more (I'm thinking, more cushiony coffee house and less classroom alphabetical row seating).

Good luck--it is so exciting, even though I'm sure it's a lot of work at this stage!

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 4 May 2006 , 12:06am
post #32 of 36

I was thinking in kinda the shabby chic style, that kinda goes with Dougs pastel ideas. I love that look.

yaya66ga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaya66ga Posted 4 May 2006 , 12:07am
post #33 of 36

Congrats on opening a shop. Check out this shop's look. I love it but everyones taste is different. I love all the antiques & such. It's in my hometown of Daytona Beach FL. I haven't lived there in 23 years but next time I go back for a visit I want to check it out.

http://www.thepastrystudio.com/theshop.htm

Good Luck

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 4 May 2006 , 2:45am
post #34 of 36

There is a shop called "Babycakes" here that sells cupcakes and truffles, coffee, etc. and it's really cute. It's decorated in a funky mod kind of way, but I only went in there once (not very close by) so I don't remember the specifics.

I'm loving the whole '50s kitsch kind of thing ................
....................but I love the Shabby Chic type stuff too.

Sorry, I'm no help!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 4 May 2006 , 3:06am
post #35 of 36

I like the idea of pictures of people with cake!! How cool is that?! thumbs_up.gif With your shop being called 'BabyCakes'...you could go with black & white pics of babies/kids eating or just posing with cakes and/or cupcakes. Maybe blow them up kinda large...old pics, new pics intermixed. With the pastel colors Doug suggested on the walls...and other kistchy decor. Could be really, really cool!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%