Help With Half/half Cake!!!!

Decorating By alicia_froedge Updated 5 May 2006 , 12:55pm by alicia_froedge

alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 3 May 2006 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 21

I am doing a birthday cake for Friday. They asked it to be half chocolate half white. It supposed to be just an ordanary sized cake. But what size pan do I use to make it half/half? I have limited pans so I don't know if I need to go buy more or is there something that you place inside of like an 11x15 to make sure the mixes don't touch? HELP

20 replies
stacycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacycakes Posted 3 May 2006 , 12:16pm
post #2 of 21

When I do a half/half cake I just use one of the sheet pans then I prop up one side a little, pour one of the batters in then when I pour the other batter in I carefully move the side that was proped up down to the table or counter while I am pouring. The mixes only touch a little bit.

alicia_froedge Posted 3 May 2006 , 12:18pm
post #3 of 21

So you bake them together in one pan. Thanks so much. I was stressing cause I didn't know if I need to make an emergency trip to buy more pans.

i_love_icing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_love_icing Posted 3 May 2006 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 21

I made a half and half cake about a month ago. I made one white 11x15 and one chocolate 11x15, then cut them in half and stuck one chocolate half and one white half next to each other. Then I put BC on it as the filling and put the other halves together on top of those, so it was a double layer cake without having to torte. I just had to carefully make sure I was cutting in exactly the middle.

I made the cakes 1 1/2" high so the finished cake was about 3 1/2" high.

I was kind of in the same boat as you. I only have one 11x15 pan and didn't want to have to buy another one.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 3 May 2006 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 21

I once was asked for a half sheet, half/half so I baked them in a 1/4 sheet pan, then lay them side by side and iced them together. You just need to make sure that you put extra icing in the middle of them so they lay level to each other.

HTH

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 3 May 2006 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 21

I have a piece of stiff cardboard with foil over it, I put it in the middle of the pan to divide it in half then pour the batter in on each side then take the cardboard out of the middle icon_smile.gif

alicia_froedge Posted 3 May 2006 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 21

Thank you guys so much for the advice. This sounds much easier than I had imagined. Stress myself for nothing!

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 3 May 2006 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 21

Hi Alicia,
Haven't seen you on the DH forum. I do what cakesbgood does. But, if you have the quarter sheet pans that would be easier. And, if you don't want to make it a double layer, you could always freeze the other two halves until later. Good luck and be sure to post a pix when your done.
TAB

KristyF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyF Posted 3 May 2006 , 3:04pm
post #9 of 21

When I made a half/half cake, I just put a peice of aluminum foil in the middle of the pan as my "barrier". After I poured each side in, I took the foil out. It worked great!

alicia_froedge Posted 3 May 2006 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 21

Hi Tab!
I was off work yesterday for election day so I wasn't at my computer. I am terrible at pan sizes. What is a 1/4 sheet size? 9x13 or 11x15 or neither? I think I'll take my 11x15 and place a cardboard in the middle. That sounded the easiest to me. This cake is for my husband's boss!!! So right off the bat I am already nervous. icon_smile.gif Not suppose to make it frilly but simply with something in the corners?!

cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 3 May 2006 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 21

well, theres been alot of debate on the sizes lol! I use the 9x13 for a 1/4 sheet cake myself, because that's what the size of the 1/4 sheet cakes are around here in the stores, plus that's what I always thought it was anyway. But some people say that their 1/4 sheets are the 11x15 size. I would just go by the amount of people that the cake is going to be for. You said it's for your husbands boss, is it going to be served at work for everyone, or is he taking it home, etc? Good luck, can't wait to see your cake when it's done! icon_smile.gif

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 3 May 2006 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 21

I have baked them in the same pan, and I have baked two separate cakes and placed them together. Depends on what flavor they are. If I need chocolate, I bake them separately because my chocolate cake takes longer to bake than the others.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 3 May 2006 , 5:36pm
post #13 of 21

I just make a layer of each so that every serving has both flavors.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 3 May 2006 , 7:35pm
post #14 of 21

I have even baked 1/2 white and 1/2 chocolate in a 10" round pan. I do what others suggested ... I take some cake board, cover with aluminum foil and place it in the middle and pour each end. I ususally bake until the longer one is just done. Always comes out great.

My hardest part is trying to remember which side is which! I even marked the board last time and it was still mixed up. Luckily it was for a friend and she didn't mind being surprised.

KristyF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyF Posted 3 May 2006 , 7:44pm
post #15 of 21

Do all of you leave your cake board/aluminum foil in while cooking or do you take it out before cooking? I took mine out but am now wondering if I should have left it in.

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 3 May 2006 , 7:54pm
post #16 of 21

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I normally ask the person if they would like it side-by-side, or top-to-bottom. Normally, they really like the idea of having 2 flavors in every piece (such as the bottom layer chocolate, the top layer white). That's also easier, so you don't have to patch-up the middle with the extra frosting, and you can just use 1/2 the cake mix, so you're baking 2 smaller cakes which become 1 normal sized cake. OR, I just make 2 normal sized cakes & make it 1 tall cake, they seem to really like that!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 May 2006 , 8:00pm
post #17 of 21

I use the method KristyF said.....put foil in the center pour in two kinds of mix, pull foil out..and bake......the only issue you have with making two cakes is sometimes they will start to crack and separate where they have been joined if the cake board has any give to it at all.

alicia_froedge Posted 4 May 2006 , 12:48pm
post #18 of 21

YAY!!!! I sucessfully baked my first half/half cake last night. I did the idea of card board wrapped in foil in the middle, pouring both mixes and then removing the cardboard. It worked great. Thanks to everyone. I will have the finished results after tonight and hopefully post it tomorrow!

alicia_froedge Posted 5 May 2006 , 12:41pm
post #19 of 21

Yay!!! Here is my finished cake! I had to wait till the kids went to sleep last night before I could work on. And of course this is the one night that my son did NOT want to go to sleep. I finally got to work on it at 11:00 PM and finished by 12:30 AM. I was going to have two strawberries in each corner.....but when I got them out I discovered two were missing??!!! My DH probably had something to do with this!!! It sad leaving your cakes! I want to look at it all night long. Oh well, least I'll have pictures. Thanks to everyone for your help!!!!
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 May 2006 , 12:51pm
post #20 of 21

lol@not wanting to leave your cake.........I do the same thing....only my reason is because my DH likes to snack in the middle of the night and I'm always afraid he'll sleep eat my cake!!!!! By the way, your cake looks beautiful your writing is sooooo perfect, great job!!!

alicia_froedge Posted 5 May 2006 , 12:55pm
post #21 of 21

What I don't understand is I have practiced and practiced the Wilton way to do the rope border and I am just not getting the hang of it. This is my version. It looks the same to me. Instead of doing "S" I have to make a "C" ??!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%