16 X 2 Round Pan - Advice Please

Decorating By nicolag Updated 5 May 2006 , 3:44am by Kazoot

nicolag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolag Posted 3 May 2006 , 3:35am
post #1 of 10

This is the largest cake I have ever baked, while reading other posts I noticed mention of a heating core. I assume this helps the center cook faster - in time with the edges. Do they work and do I need to use one when using a pan of this size? Any other tips for this size cake will be really appreciated.
Thanks.

9 replies
Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 3 May 2006 , 3:37am
post #2 of 10

If you have a flower nail, put it in the center, up-side down, it does the same thing as the heating core!!

hope this helps

Lorris

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 3 May 2006 , 3:37am
post #3 of 10

Hi!

I always use my bake even strips on all or my larger cakes. It really helps. Believer me, I am not a wilton fan, however,those things can be quite good. A heating core is probably a good idea for a pan that size too. Usually I will bake the 18x3 inch half circle, they are easier to bake.

Hope this helps,
Bestest,
Dawn

xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 5 May 2006 , 1:43am
post #4 of 10

Baking cores are essential when baking a cake this size. When I say baking core, I just mean a heat conductor like a flower nail or whatever. I've even used heavy duty foil coated well with cake release. If you use a flower nail, you will need 2 or 3 for this size of a cake. Good luck!! I'm sure everything will turn out just fine

safetymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
safetymom Posted 5 May 2006 , 1:50am
post #5 of 10

I just recently tried this size cake with the strips and one inverted flower nail, and had bad results. The cake looked like it was doing fine until I took it out of the oven and then it sunk in the middle. I tried again with a Wilton heating core and the strips, and it turned out so nice and flat that I didn't have to level it! To be fair, I did have 2 other variables that may or may not have helped: the first cake I used generic vegetable oil, the second I used Crisco oil. The first I used large eggs and the second I used extra large eggs. Hope this helps you.

xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 5 May 2006 , 2:33am
post #6 of 10

Safteymom,

You might not have cooked the first one long enough. I did that a few times, but I always use generic oil. It's cheaper and does just fime for me.

safetymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
safetymom Posted 5 May 2006 , 2:41am
post #7 of 10

Xandra, I'm glad to know that that you do fine with generic oil. It takes one of the variables away. I baked them the same amount of time, so either the extra large eggs or the heating core, maybe both! Thanks.

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 5 May 2006 , 2:49am
post #8 of 10

I just made a 14-inch round cake with 3 flower nails and it still sank in the middle. It was a white chocolate cake so it could have just been a heavy recipe but I got a heating core the next time around and it turned out perfectly level. I'm not used to baking a cake over 10-inches so it was all new.

nicolag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolag Posted 5 May 2006 , 3:38am
post #9 of 10

THank you so much for the advice, I will definately be using a heating core - not willing to chance baking this giant without one.

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 5 May 2006 , 3:44am
post #10 of 10

I never have used heating cores on a 16". I just turn the oven down to 325 and bake longer. I have never had a problem with them. We live just above the high altitude level, so I make sure and follow the directions for high altitude. HTH usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%